• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beer and Martial arts

Rich_2k3

How much booze do u guys drink in a month, and at what amount do u think it becomes unhealthy and may effect your MA's performance?

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never bothered to keep track of it. As for the effects, anything more than one or two a day will make your liver angry later in life. But that's up to you.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

I really don't drink all that often...not opposed to the occasional frosty adult beverage, but I don't make it a habit. No reason to, really

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Alcohol will dehydrate you, and depending on the drinks, may have carbs and other things you may not want to be ingesting. I myself don't drink for other reasons. If you are looking to perform at a high level, stay away from the booze, there are more effects than what I have listed, but I am not going to look them up right now.

How much booze do i drink a month...

Well this month xmas and new year, Quite a bit!! :D but Usually about a bottle of wine and a couple of pints of beer a month. When i was at university I drank about 100-150 pints of beer a month for a good 18months.

At what amount do i think it becomes unhealthy?...

Depends what you consider unhealthy. In terms of experiencing liver problems I think you would have to drink a lot for a long period of time. A lot of liver problems are associated with a poor diet coupled with heavy drinking. I know when i used to drink a lot my weight increased mainly due to the sort of diet drinking promotes. Obviously a dependance on any 'drug' is bad, fortunately I never had that but did enjoy a good drink.

Is memery loss unhealthy?

How did it effect my martial arts performance?...

I've always trained 3times a week, dispite the extra weight slowing me down I never noticed a change in my fitness, I lacked some sharpness. I never drank before training but often trained the day after a heavy night of drinking. I did sweat a bit more, felt mentally tired and fought slower when I was hungover.

All-in-all you will never get the best out of yourself if you drink. but it doesn't hurt in moderation.

(I think here in the UK we have a very different drinking culture to the US)

Well, Austraila has the highest drinking rate in the world, and well the UK, erm were second place.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

I love beer. But, everything in moderation. Use common sense- if it effects your training or health, slow down or stop. I stoped for several years once because it was getting to the point it was causing me problems. Now, I'll just have a couple of beers now and again. I really only get drunk once or twice a year. It's good to let your hair down once in a while, and total abstenance can be unhealthy in its own way. But for some, even one is the kiss of death. Use your head before you fog it up and you'll be ok.

The best definition of alcoholism I ever heard was on a movie (back before videos). A Catholic priest who counciled alcoholics said something to the effect 'If your drinking is causing you problems and you can't or don't stop, you are an alcoholic.' Use that definition, and the implied philosophy that if it causes you problems in any aspect of your life you stop, and neither your training, health, or social life will suffer. My opinion, based on a few years experience on both ends of the bend.

Freedom isn't free!