• advertisement_alt

SHOULD Christians do MA?

Should Christians do MA  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians do MA

• Yes, they are great!
    • No, they can be a stumbling block.

tkdkarategirl

My husband and I use our martial arts as an outreach ministry at our Church, we teach 2 nights a week and once we're ready (we only have 4 high ranking adult students, and one high ranking Jr. student, so we've got a while), we're planning demos in the community to bring in more students. If you can get someone in a Church for ANY reason, they'll be ministered to, if even simply through attitudes and fellowship, again, just my opinion... I know there is one student in our adults class that hadn't set foot inside a church since he got married, and he and his son are taking with us and hearing the word during our stretching, "bible study" time...

That is an awesome idea I have been thinking about doing the same thing at my church, did you run into any insurance problems??

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus said "A man that can't defend his family is an infidel." (Something close to that, it may not be exact.)

Jesus may have said this (but I doubt it) but it is not scripture, not even pseudopegrapha nor in the gosple of Thomas.

It sounds like a Muslim saying...Christians don't use the term infidel.

1Timothy 5:8 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

8But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am a Johnny Come Lately to this discussion. But I am studying to be a minister. I also have begun training in BJJ and am contemplating taking up a striking art.

I would say that there is nothing wrong with a Christian training in MA, (since I do it myself). But MAs do not interest everyone and are not for everyone. If for some person they see it as too violent or what not, they should not participate. But certain MAs are sport oriented anyway, and Christians do participate in sports.

Living in the Bible belt, Christian based (owned and operated, which incorporate Christian teaching with MA) Karate/TKD dojos and even BJJ dojos are not uncommon.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Jesus said "A man that can't defend his family is an infidel." (Something close to that, it may not be exact.)

Jesus may have said this (but I doubt it) but it is not scripture, not even pseudopegrapha nor in the gosple of Thomas.

It sounds like a Muslim saying...Christians don't use the term infidel.

1Timothy 5:8 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

8But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

That is one translation. I will look at the Greek and see if the word "infidel" is the best translation. Many of the words in the KJV meant something different than the modern meanings when that translation was first written.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• 4 weeks later...

The translation from my bible (NIV: New International Version) is, "If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Now, my own take on this...before this thread, like another commenter, I had never thought there was anything to connect the my being a Christian to MA, I never thought there would even remotely be a problem. The only other time scripture even remotely came near my training was when Sensei was attempting to explain a concept to us, and was using scripture for us. Most of them are very church-y people. Unfortunately, he started losing me there because I'm not quite as church-y and Christian-y as they are.

Actually....I am a Christian, but I don't exactly...conform....to the normal Christian beliefs. If anyone wants to know anything more, PM me. I don't want a horde of angry Christian forum members on my tail.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• 1 month later...

I've had nothing but problems from christians.

My karate deals heavily with zen and ki after a point, and those aspects bother seem to bother them. but, I don't dislike anybody, and I gladdly take anyone with an open mind.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

SenseiMike, do you have a large dropout rate with the Christians in your school when you start to lean heavily into the zen and ki or do they just argue about it with you. I mean, how do the problems manifest themselves? Do you explain ahead of time that your philosophy deals with eastern mysticism and religion? Just curious. Thanks.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth defend your self in a real fight you can defend yourself without actually hiting anyone it can be done

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I don't see a specific problem with Christians becoming martial artists. I'm sure many of my co-MAers are Christian (it is the most common religion in the US) and it has never be a point of contention. We did have a Christian in my old class that was very preachy and pushed Christianity on others but she stopped when she was told that it was not polite to thrust her beliefs on others before, during, or after class on those that did not wish to be "thrust upon."