• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SHOULD Christians do MA?

Should Christians do MA  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians do MA

• Yes, they are great!
    • No, they can be a stumbling block.

taking into account that MA was first designed to focus and clear the mind, making it able to make better informed descisions i cant see why doing MA would be a problem.

the only counter to that would be that if someone took up MA with a violent intent.

you may freely give up your life, but never lose your honour

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with being a Christian martial artist (I am) in general.However for some Christians it very well may be a stumbling block especialy if the martial art you are involved in is deeply connected to an Eastern religion such as Taoism.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

• 2 weeks later...

I am a practicing Christian and a Student in a Theological Seminary studying for the ministry.

I am no expert, But I see no problem with a Christian studying and practicing the martial arts. :wave:

More to come if anyone shows interest.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

there's turning the other cheek, and then there's defending yourself and family. Big difference.

Jesus said "A man that can't defend his family is an infidel." (Something close to that, it may not be exact.) I agree with you, and so does God...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

You might want to check that scripture Chaz. I don't remember reading anything like that. Maybe I just need a refresher? Maybe not. Let me know what ya find.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Chaz-I agree with kchenault you better review your scripture.I don't recall such a verse.I'll check it out though I might be wronge. :)

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

• 1 month later...

Jesus said "A man that can't defend his family is an infidel." (Something close to that, it may not be exact.)

Jesus may have said this (but I doubt it) but it is not scripture, not even pseudopegrapha nor in the gosple of Thomas.

It sounds like a Muslim saying...Christians don't use the term infidel.

Luke 22:

'35 He also said to them, "When I sent you out without money-bag, backpack, or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Not a thing," they said. 36 Then He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money-bag should take it, and also a backpack. And whoever doesn't have a sword should sell his robe and buy one. '

God doesn't want us to be unable to defend our families, our friends, our ourselves if someone or something threatens their (our) lives.

gotta work... :P more later :)

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

If your doing MA for the reasons of avoiding conflict, it wouldnt conflict christian perspectives.

Learning MA purely for violence may be a different thing though.

Just my humble opinion, but if you're learning a "martial art" for violence only, you're only learning the "martial" and not the "art." There's a distinct difference in a martial artist and a 'karate student.'

My husband and I use our martial arts as an outreach ministry at our Church, we teach 2 nights a week and once we're ready (we only have 4 high ranking adult students, and one high ranking Jr. student, so we've got a while), we're planning demos in the community to bring in more students. If you can get someone in a Church for ANY reason, they'll be ministered to, if even simply through attitudes and fellowship, again, just my opinion... :) I know there is one student in our adults class that hadn't set foot inside a church since he got married, and he and his son are taking with us and hearing the word during our stretching, "bible study" time...

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13