• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LOTR - Return of the King

ESA-Shotokan

For the most part I really liked it. Lots of battles, miranda otto, liv tyler (yippee), little to no thinking required.

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

However the film really falls flat in the the last half hour (best guess at time as it felt like an eternity). To say it drags in this section is an understatement. I'm not sure if they even used an editor on this portion of the film.

There are a few ways i think they could of cut down the film a little:

-kill gimli, merry and pippin. 2 films of comic relief are enough for me and i don't need a third.

-cut down smeagol rants or talk faster.

-only reminisce about the shire once. babling about it more than that is just filler.

-cut down on love scenes between frodo and fatboy (sam). Every scene with them is basically stare in each others eyes, tell em i love you, the shire etc. Just kiss already or get going with the quest.

-seriously just get up the volcano already!

-less braveheart scenes with the rohan warriors. just get to the killing already.

-fatboy and frodo were taking so long on the volcano that if they died while climbing up onward I would have been happy. I would have ended it with frodo and fatboy lying on the rocks with the lava around them. As they profess their love the lava overtakes them and the audience is spared from super cheese ending.

Editors were in abundance on the film. I read that the first cut of the film was 6, that's right, 6 hours long!! I think they pared it down quite a bit. I hope they include all that footage in the extended version. Can't wait. So much of the story is missing in this last film.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I can imagine the DVD of Return of the King will be a mega DVD set. I, too, heard the uncut version was six hours! I have read the books and I look forward to the main deleted scenes from the third book being reinstated; good stuff!

:)