• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first time i got beaten up

ad

I agree with what your saying delta and in terms of the uk laws, they are very similar to american laws. Basically you are alllowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself.

I wasnt worried about the laws or the trouble i might get in. i was more concerend about a knife being drawn or getting the other stationery attacker involved. I was more than happy with him hitting me, even thought thats the wrong attitude to take, but i felt that if i hit him back, it would have only enraged him further leading to him excerting more excessive means of violence and agression towards me. - I was avoiding that outcome at all costs. Also the nature of muggers in the place where i live is that revenge seems to be one of things they focus on most. He already knew which bus i got off and which school i came from, whats to stop coming to me again after bail and perhaps stabbing me unnoticed?. You may say that im being too precautious or considering all the unlikely extremities, but when put in a pressured situation like that i guess you have to.

Ad

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may say that im being too precautious or considering all the unlikely extremities, but when put in a pressured situation like that i guess you have to.

Nope, I wouldn't say that at all. It is definately good to consider all the possibilities, and it is a tough decission to make.

My opinion, I'd be more worried about him escalating to weapons after he's beat me senseless and didn't get what he wanted.

The revenge factor is more difficult, but you may face that for having called the police even though you didn't hit them. Tough call. I'd tend to act and deal with the consequences later, but then I've put myself in some bad situations before with that attitude. This may be a case of danged if you do and durned if you don't. I hope it all works out for you, but without first hand experience in the conditions where you are it would be pointless for me to make definate recomendations. Good luck.

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime you get beat down, there is always "afterfight remorse". Did you do all you could, why didn't you do this, blah blah blah. Don't get discouraged. Bottom line is, you are still around to type on the computer and tell us the story. Here's some food for thought, though. The reason you were basically standing around and not fighting back effectively was you were not thinking of an attack on your person. There are color codes for the condition of human awareness:

WHITE: totally unaware of what is going on. You're listeneing to music and don't even know what is happening.

YELLOW: you are aware of what is going on around you, but it is of no concern, and nothing is directly affecting you.

ORANGE: There is trouble near you, and you are aware that you may be affected.

RED: You are ready to fight. You take a fighting stance, look for nearby weapons, etc. Things are going wrong, and you know it. Someone is advancing on you, someone is yelling at you, you know there is a fight about to occur involving you!

BLACK: total panic. Sensory overload. You scream, run, curl into a fetal position. You cannot fight effectively in condition black.

When you saw the muggers, you were in condition orange. You should have been in red. Your body could not shift from cond orange into red because you had chosen to turn your back on a possible threat. While you were getting hit, your mind was going from orange into black, skipping red all together. Your assailant was already in cond red, so he had a good jump on you. In the future, take the mentality that if you are in cond orange, you need to be in red immediately. Better safe than sorry. Don't turn your back on a threat. Strike before he strikes you. It'll take time, but don't get depressed over it. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Mixed Martial Artist

Hey thanx Rich,

ive never heard of the colour coding before, thats something i will remember. It makes heated situation like that more understandable. But as we all know, people cannot always determin human awareness to 100% and sometimes things may not run under a colour system if you know what i mean.

I think the reason why i jumped from orange to black and skipped red,like you and others said, is that i dont want to hit the attacker back cuz i dont want him to go flipmode. Its like the feeling you get when somebody constantly slaps you in the face for example, you get this surge of adrenaline which throws all logic out and all you can think of is to knock him out.

I did not want my attacker to be in that position, cuz if i hit him and im not able to knock him out or do sufficient damage, he will be serioulsy pissed and just show me a side which i might not be able to cope with physically.

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

I totally agree with you. There ARE times where it is always better to walk away after weighing your options. You did right, and like I said before, the fact that you're here typing this is a sure sign you played your cards right that day. You're only 16 I see, so you made the right decisions. I just put the color codes there to help you as you get older and to help you understand the escalation of violence. Good luck to ya!

Mixed Martial Artist

I am sorry to hear that you were put in such a situation. I think you did one of the right things which is to run away. You may feel bad about yourself afterwards, but at least you are able to think about it. A lot of my fellow students who were teenagers were always thinking about fighting and beating up someone. I think that in a true self defence situation, you do what is necessary for you to run away. They could have pulled a knife on you. In a real situation, you have about a 5% chance of surviving a knife fight without any weapon. They will cut you from neck to groin, not the straight on attacks in class. As for your freezing up, all encounters have 3 choices; fright, flight, and fight. You went into fright and flight which is natural and good. Your instinct told you not to stand your ground, and your instinct is your best defence. With your training, now you must learn to make actions without thinking about them.

By the way, if it makes you feel any better...when some guy tried to mug me, i froze and just blocked his first attack. I didnt' know what was going to happen next. So you aren't alone. :)

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Action without thinking

that is something i really need to implement. I feel during time and experience that i will learn to follow this general rule.

Thanx for everyones support, its good to know your not alone in these situations

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

I think that the advice given to you by Rich67 is a very valuable one. I do classify situation often and when the situation turns to yellow/orange I start already to take same small preventive action like moving to a place where I can defend or escape easier or pull out my cell phone or get closer to other people etc. I don't know how many times this attitude has saved me but I have never had an aggression in my life (I'm 42). Maybe I'm only lucky but I think that awareness pays. :nod: