• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go Kan Ryu Karate Do

finn

Really the low contact is there so that people don't think they will turn up at a class and come out black and blue. We wait until they have their yellow belt firt\st. Lol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our dojo we know who to hit and who not to. There are a lot of kids, but the adults do like to mix it a little.

I agree that you can't time a punch properly if you don't make some kind of contact, and to block someone who is hitting an inch away from your face will not help you out any when you have the real thing happening.

To the original poster:

Yes, GKR is alive and well and lives in the UK :karate:

Do not meddle in the affirs of geeks

for they are subtle and quick to anger

• 2 months later...

i train with g.k.r as well and it's an inevitable consequence of a style that's so accessable to people that you're going to have to take it fairly easy on others (kids, old people, women, etc.) a fair bit in kumite. although it has its fair share of people who go flat out as well, and i've found it mixes both atmospheres pretty well. and yes, contact does get progressively more intensive the higher you go.

one ring to rule them all.

Mate i aint out to knock your personal choice in doing GKR but its a load of bull, my experience of them is in australia only but basically they offer people black belts, you grade after a certiain amount of "hours" 7 years to become a shihan. They are pathetic, cant fight (in terms of there is no quality in technique or ability so they can only brawl which any idiot can do) this i have rarely seen because most of them encourage no contact, non contact is a load of garbage there is no benefit, if you want to practice non contact go do dancing.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

Hayashi, please mind what you say about GKR. There are many people on these forums who practice GKR and I'm sure that they won't take kindly to you describing their style in such negative terms.

Although you may have had a bad experience with GKR it doesn't mean that it is the same everywhere and in every GKR club.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

You sure you did GKR? :)

If you did then you'd know theres only one shihan, the assistant chief instructor of the club.

Gradings aren't done on an hour a class number basis or I'd be a 2nd dan by now. I wish they would offer me a BB lol.

No quality in technique or ability? GKR students have won NAS titles over in Australia the last few years running, something that would be hard to do if they don't know how to spar.

Non-contact for beginers is the point being made in this topic.

Sorry if im being overly harsh but it does get rather annoying having to constantly defend my style to people who attack it with sweeping statements like you made, theres no need to kill a chicken for one bad egg.

guys, GKR in perth ok ill be a luittle more specific, they door knock to all the houses, they offer black belts to people and promise of giving them a dojo, this is not what i heard this is what i have seen, NAS? nas runs on karate orientated point sparring, of course GKR would dominate agaisnt some kung fu person with those kind of rules, how can different styles compete against each other in KATA/FORMS its hard engouh with diferent styles of karate let alone different systems of martial arts. Now i have seen the sheet they give students to show them how long before they get to each belts etc etc, one of our 1st kyu brown belts left and then decided to try it out, within 2 weeks they had him teaching at there dojo and offered him a black belt and club within two months. now you tell me if that credible? hey yeah thats great that one of our students seemed really great to them but if anyone came to our style from another they owuld not be walking in like that. I dont know how they do it in newcastle but mate in perth they are the scum of the martial arts community, ask any martial arts supplier in perth, they cant stand them and what they stand for as neither do any martial arts instructors with any credibility, do you ever wonder why the AKF doesnt have GKR in it?????????????? becasue its a non credibal style of Karate? also (non contact ofr beginners) yes of course as a learning stage we all must learn safely and step it up as we get more capable in the future, anyone who gets begineers to do full contact is an idiot and disgraceful.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

OK if the NAS uses karate scoring system etc: then why doesn't a better karate system beat them?

Yes GKR does door 2 door but they don't go to a door and offer someone a black belt.

However you are right in saying GKR main problem (and its a biggie) is the low grade instructors. Black belt with a white band going around it. This isn't actually a BB although thats the impression its meant to give off. I don't like it, my advice to GKR students is to find an actuall BB instructor who knows what they are doing.

As far as im concerned what federation/association a club is in does not matter one little bit. There are politics everywhere in Karate. From the top right down to individual dojo level. These politics havemore to do with that than anything else.

Like you say anyone getting beginers to do full contact is an idiot which is why we don't :)

Later on we are semi-contact, same as many other schools out there. There are numerous threads on this site about the pros/cons of semi vs full contact so lets not go into that.

The sheet telling people what grade they get when is a rough guideline only. Like I said in my last post, if that sheet was followed exactly id have my nidan by now. I'm a 3rd kyu. Bit of a difference there. I'll get my Nidan when im ready for it.

I done Shotokan and Wado before (not much of either) and as a generalisation the standard in those clubs was higher than GKR but this is changing slowly. My current instructor is easily as good as if not better than other instructors i've had.

Many styles let people keep their grades when they come accross, for some reason we don't, I think thats a mistake but im not the boss so..

That 1st kyu of yours, whats wrong with him teaching, if he is of standard then let him, there wouldn't have been a problem if he had kept his grade when he went accross.