• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I passed!

aefibird

Congratulations aes!

I'll post a pic or two when I get round to getting the film developed

(my digital camera refused to work at a crucial moment, so I had to nip to the shop and get one of those single-use cameras!!)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shorin I've trained in and have seen doesn't have any high kicks, which branch of shorin do you study?

I guess it is a relative term for me. So far none of my Katas demand way over the head kicks but because of my lack of flexibility in my Achilles tendons and in my groin prevent my front kick from reaching the face without me cheating my back ankle off the floor. Same with my round house, it can only reach about mid chest and should be higher. Katas might not use the higher kicks but Kumite does and not having the higher kicks is a handicap.

I am not sure how to answer the question about which branch of Shorin-ryu we are. It is based a lot on traditional stuff from what I am told.

Kyoshi, the head instructor in our dojo is an 8th degree black belt. He studied Karate in Japan and has Doctorate in MA. I think our katas were the ones he learned but it could be that they were changed a bit to fit into the wants of today’s students. For example we learn some Goshin Jitsu which I am pretty sure is not really part of traditional Okinawian Shorin-ryu Karate, but students like because they deal with some of the missing aspects of close in self defence ( countering wrist grabs, bear hugs etc).

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Congrats to all. Any good photos of the testing to post??

Sorry no photos. My wife came but we never thought about taking pictures plus our 2 1/2 year old was being a hand full so they had to leave.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
congrats, i am hopeful that i am going for my Black 1st Dan at the end of this year :karate:

Trodai Karate, Brown Belt 1nd Kyu

"Belts Are For Holding Your Pants Up" Bruce Lee

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"Ben Paker

Yes, well done aefibird! :)

After putting it off for years, I finally took my Shodan grading last July. Andy Sherry, assisted by Frank Brennan, was the examiner. I passed kihon and kata but tore the cartilage in my knee (an injury from earlier in the year) so kumite was poor - I have to take that part again.

I am suprised though as I did Bassai Dai as my elected kata and actually got part of it wrong!! I performed shuto instead of closed fist near the end with the morote gedan blpck combination! I must have done that kata at least a thousand times and yet, I goofed it at such a point - obviously the rest was okay as I did pass the kata section. Same thing with the kihon. When doing the black-belt combination, I only did it twice on the way back and not three times! I guess my others must have been sufficient!

All good stuff.

I intend to take the kumite part in March of this year.

:)

Good luck with the kumite! Hope your knee gets better soon, too.

Just out of interest, what association are you with? In the FSK (my organisation) if we fail or don't do very well on a section during a grading we have to repeat the whole test again, not just that part.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!