• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is it that you love about your chosen path?

I have felt that over the past few months there has been too much slander and hearsay within the confines of these forums. While all are entitled to express their beliefs, I would be more than interested in hearing what it is that each and every one of you here on Karateforums loves about your chosen method of fighting, self- defense or sport.

I have but one small request, and that is if you so choose to post a response, that it be a positive one, free from negative references to the other systems of martial arts. I don't wish to hear about your chosen styles superiority over others; rather, what is it that drives you to continue the study of your art.

However, I realize that I cannot control the posts to this subject, I just hope that anyone who would post a response, would have a little bit of respect for my request.

Very Repsectfully, wcnavstar

"We work with being, but non-being is what we use" Tao Te Ching

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I study San Shou and I love the fact that it is simple and to the point. The techniques are easy enough to learn and teach to others. It is straightforward and to the point without a lot of complicated techniques.

I love the fact that I can compete in a full contact environment without getting charged with assault(I like to fight...sorry).

I love the fact that training is such an excellent workout, as much as I hate getting ready for fight season after taking the summer off and having to drop 20-25 lbs, I know that I can lose the pounds in a matter of weeks.

I love the fact that these techniques are excellent for self defense and work well in fights and rough situations.

I am a Uechi-Ryu karate-ka and will remain so forever, no matter how much cross training I do at college and other places where I have no dojo.

I liked the comment about it all coming back to basics. Our first and most important kata in Uechi is San Chin, which literally means "The Three Conflicts," i.e. between mind, body and spirit. Though I love the external parts of the arts I practice, it is the internal art (regardless of style) that is the key for me.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

y'know one of the best things is this thing that we're all part of.

the idea that there is this one thing that is bigger than the lot of us put together that unites us.

we might argue and we mighit call each other names but behind all of that is this sense of kinship.

we all study different styles and for different reasons but the point is we are all learning.

we learn everyday whether it is in a class, or on the street or here on karateforums, we are learning something new.

there aren't many things in the world that can bring together people from as many as three generations, from all backgrounds and from all continents.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Good thread :) And I totally agree, Drunken Monkey.

I started MA for self defense, but I really got into the mental aspect of martial arts. I have improved on character, and being a better person. It's all because of MA.

Laurie F

I originally started Martial Arts to as a way to spend time with my then 15 yr old son as well as learning some self defense. I honestly thought that my son would become bored and I was too old to start (35) and we would give it up after a short time. Fortunately I was wrong on all accounts! My son is still training even though the teenage life gets in the way sometimes, and I love every thing there is about the Art. Not only have I gotten into shape but I have learned or should I say I'm learning that Martial Arts is truely a way of life and not something you do every other day and forget about. So true about the basics, without a good solid foundation I believe one will discover his/her short comings as their training progresses. I also have been welcomed into a family at my dojo that is a very special one. The bond that we all feel for each other is a great feeling. I know if I ever needed anything that I could get on the phone and call anyone of my fellow karateka and they would be there for me. In todays world you my have many acquaintances but only a few true friends. :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I study several matial arts.The reason i am still studying them is because

1.I would like to fight in an MMA someday and

2.I live in a very tough town where there are lots of fights (fist and weapon) and i like to feel safe from it all.

I love training in shotokan because of the confidence and toughness it has helped me to develop. It's not just physical 'toughness' (although my punches pack a wallop now!!) but mental toughness and an ability to think things through and see them differently.

I also love the fact that martial arts is a community and all martial artists are a part of it. Even if we don't agree with style x or think that style y is the best thing since sliced bread, then we are all brought together by a combined love of our chosen arts. As gheinisch wrote, you're welcomed into a 'family' when you join a (good!) martial arts school.

I also think it's great that martial artists from all over the world can get together and chat about MA on forums such as this one!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I discovered MA recently. I wish I have done it before. I do MA for fitness and for fun, most of the fun comes from sparring, when you spar you always learn something and the lesson is not necessarily related to the fight itself but it is related on your capability of putting everithing you've got in the challange: skill, appilcation of theory, endurance, flexibility, speed, self-control, awareness, strenght physical and mental.

I like my art (Kickboxing) because is all that, good for fitness and easy to learn (at least the basics...) so you can start sparring with limited experience ( I have 9 month training and I spar since when I had 4 month experience).

Having said that I also would like to cross-train a more traditional martial art to have also some more internal benefit. Maybe I will join some tai chi class as soon as I find a good one compatible with my day schedule.