• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JerryLove, did Jiang Fa "soften" the art for any particular reason?...

I was one told that Tai Chi was developed by a Master who found that the rigours of an art he trained in since youth, weight heavy on a old body therefore he modified the art to suit his needs in old age.

Is this just another one of those wives tails or is there some truth to it?

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JerryLove, did Jiang Fa "soften" the art for any particular reason?...

I could speculate, but I could not answer with any real assurance of accuracy. If you've ever felt what performing Chen style Tiaji does to you energetically compared to other styles (such as Yang), you'd easily find reasons you would prefer the latter.

IOW doing Chen tends to make me feel "off"... violent, powerful, but off.

I was one told that Tai Chi was developed by a Master who found that the rigours of an art he trained in since youth, weight heavy on a old body therefore he modified the art to suit his needs in old age.

It sounds like a wives tale; but I don't have enough information personally to answer. I do know that one reason my instructor got into Taiji was because he felt that starting an art that was not inherently very difficult to continue doing would result in a higher level of skill than starting with a more youthful art and then migrating; or trying ot maintain an art that really doesn't lend itself to being older.

• 2 weeks later...

I sparred with one of my friends before who is a chen style Tai Chi Practioner. I know a little Wing Chun, so i was using what i know, i'm a grappler so i used a lot of throws and locks. Whenever I did any move he wouldn't resist but he would let use all my force and get out easily. I asked how and why were u not resisiting, and he told me that's what tai chi is about, it's about using your opponents force/energy. I just thought i should share that.

Thank u!

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• 2 months later...

Being a Chinese, I'm always amazed by how the western appreciate our chinese cultural art. Like I always tell my trainees, give any 10 years down the road, you probably can only find good Hung Gar Master in Europe... I know I'm of topic, lol...

In asia pugilistic community, when we say your Kung Fu is good, we are saying that your skill in your style of CMA is good, which I believe the term Kung Fu had been discuss many times in the forum.

So back to the topic, what does Tai Chi got to do with Kung Fu? Nothing. But when you rephrase, your Tai Chi Kung Fu is good, is just saying that your skill in Tai Chi is good.

The actual history of Tai Chi is not clear, but the documented traceble would be the founder of Chen Style Tai Chi - Chen Wan Ting. Do a search through the web, you will find more...

In Singapore, majority of Tai Chi practisioner are old folks for the sake of better health and community. But traditional Tai Chi practisioner are still around (for how long...).

So why Tai Chi is done slowly? I have actually posted a question in my forum and got a feedback. Take a look here

This is what was communicated to me decades ago:

After the Boxer rebellion, martial arts studies were outlawed, except in the military and law enforcment, and supposedly only for officers. Basic hand-to-hand was taught to the grunts. Tai chi chuan was presented as an 'exercise' in health, and therefore considered acceptable. In actuality, it was a martial art in disquise, similar to the way the African slaves in Brazil had hidden their martial art in dance (capoera).

Other similar note: Then we have the fantastical wushu dances, presented by the Chinese government as a means to maintain the mystique of Chinese traditions. It was, essentially, choreographed dance... and thus yet another means to 'hide' a martial art. Unfortunately, it was not well hidden, and the government eventually took it over... and overemphasized the acrobatic aspects of it, while virtually removing applicability.

This is how i was taught on this. If i am wrong, by all means... correct me.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

as jerry once said (in not these exact words..)

it is done slow to get all movements correct.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 3 weeks later...