• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seienchin

elyayo82

I have to admit I barely could tell that the girl was doing the kata. She was terrible, but that isn't her fault its her instructors' faults. I bet her dojo told her thats what she has to perform. I feel sorry for her... I bet thats kinda embarrassing to see. :blush: Although maybe that was a open 'musical' kata. still scary. :weirdlook:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off this forum has a very strict anti-profanity stance. Efforts at going around the auto censor are not appreciated and will not be tolerated.

Second it is mandatory here that respect be shown to all posters and their opinions.

Please show that you have the intelligence you think you do by finding a way to express yourself without talking like you live in a garbage can.

Now not to quash discussion I was not able to view the first link to the kata. But as to the isshin ryu link they do katas a bit differently and with a much higher stance than most other styles in general.

So to try and stimulate some postive discussion do you view this kata as a one involving dynamic tension, hard stances what do you think this kata is trying to teach ?

SaifightsMS --- thanks for turning this convo around!

Me thinks Seuinchin is all about hard movements, isometric breathing and just being rooted in general. But it also has movements that emphasize the 'softer' side of gojuryu.

OK its generic but it gets the ball rolling....I'd like to hear from some more GojuRyu peoples.

I-Ryus stances are slightly higher than Goju but not by much...personally we'd be a little lower than that guy was in the still pics....but not as low as Shotokan for example.

KarateForums.com Sempai

We don't do Seuinchin, so I wasn't inclined to participate in this conversation, strong opinions aside.

From watching the two senior gentlemen perform it, and from the photographs, Seuinchin reminds me a lot of Naihanchi (it's the closest thing I have to compare it to.)

I see a lot of slow powerful movements into stances that are deeply rooted intertwined with what looks like backwards movement and quick powerful strikes.

A lot of people I know who practice "rooting" themselves as in Tai Chi have a hard time moving from one position to another. This form seems to emphasize the ability to do both.

Reminding me of the first time I sparred with a hapkido guy who was smaller than me. I planted myself firmly and let him bounce right off me. he responded by challenging my strength, and getting me to respond by attempting to push back. That's when he yielded and tossed me to the floor.

This form reminds me of that. Being strong in the face of battle, yet knowing when to absorb the attack, and allow the person to come though right into your own attack.

Maybe I'm completely wrong... I've only watched it twice ;)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• 4 weeks later...

Just like to add my tupence worth.

I have been traing in karate for over thirty years now and have seen bad katas and good katas and also some really terrible shodan grades.

What is considered good in 1 club may not be considered good in an other,so how anyone can judge a person on the 1 clip is beyond me.

If you are a judge at kata then you base the marks on the 1st kata that is performed,either it is worse or better and you mark accordingly.

So, please show a little respect for your fellow practioners,you might be that person who goes to a club whose students are better than you and then you might be the one on the recieving end of the laughter.

In my opion you are only as good as you think you are,there is always someone better waiting in the wings to take your place but hopefully they will have the respect and tact that some members in here are severly lacking.

Regards

I don't know if I dare post a link after all that talk :( But hey it's not me in the download (or anyone I know) so I guess I've got nothing to lose :wink:

Try this site

http://www.gojukarate.co.uk/

click on kata downloads. It will also be worth checking out the rest of the site, Sensei Mike Clarke has written some superb articles.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• 2 weeks later...

Different isn't always wrong.

I do Seiunchin slightly differently to most of the ways shown here, from what I know the way I do it is more similar to a Goju-Kai style than a Goju-Ryu, who knows which version, if any, have the bunkai that first invisenged when the kata was "invented"?

Seiunchin what a beautiful kata but what a ugly discussion I understand the need for proper kata but more importantly proper conduct. To bash a student is to bash yourself. The Yagis would be ashamed at behavior like that. Tradition is not more important than integrity. Most importantly"whenI started Karate I was beginner and will die a beginner" O sensei Tsuraoka. As for the Kata itself I am an instructor in goju and tommarker I couldn't have put any better.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro