• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So would you advise different distancing in a real fight as opposed to competition? I've used lateral movement and angles in real fights and it worked great, but the guy wasn't a competitive fighter obviously. What do you think?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treebranch,

I agree with you on angles and lateral movement, just not that it will work against a shoot.

I think angles will work well against someone trying to set up a shoot - keep them turning to face you so they can't get off the shot. It's the same as working angles with roundkicks so that the person moves with the rear leg and since the weight is on their front leg they can't lift it to leg-check.

I just don't think the lateral movement or angle will work once the person has commenced their shot.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

A good wrestler uses his own footork to nullify lateral movement by cutting off your circle. Then he can set up the shot. Regardless, you NEED lateral movement, because it's better than standing there like a tree, or moving straight forward or backward.

Just hope that your opponent isn't a high caliber wrestler. Here's a good tip. Don't get in fights with anyone with cauliflower ears.:)

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

My favourite takedown is very simple and raw. There is always a point in a fight where the fighters get close enough for this, and good movement and slipping skills can more than easily get you into the right position. This is best done anywhere from slightly to the side of your opponent to directly behind them: I simple lower myself until their hips are at the height of my lower-middle rib area, wrap my arms around their waist, hold them tight, and wrench them up off the ground and onto the back of their head. This technique is really easy to perform and control, and has a very high success rate.

Free online martial arts lessons at https://www.intellifight.com (updated regularly)!

Yeah, but if you see the shoot coming in you can move and simultaneously shove him to the side, just don't move straight back. If you are unlucky enough to get caught go with it so that your resistance is gone. Grab him around the neck (like a guillotine), do a drop and launch him over you, keep rolling and presto, you should mounted on top of him. There's a lot of other nasty stuff you can do as well. If someone with cauliflower ears attacks me the evil will take over. He's got 2 choices: Kill me, or die trying. I assume that someone is trying to kill me or why attack me in the first place, I didn't do anything to merit being attacked by someone I don't know.

I was ever thinking about competing I'd crosstrain more, but I'm not really interested in competing. Most people that will be dumb or crazy enough to attack you are probably not prize fighters. Usually these guys have more respect for other people and if they don't there's always hidden weapons.

• 2 weeks later...
JohnnyS is correct. TB, you're likely NOT going to see the shot. I'm not shooting from a mile away. If that were the case, lateral movement would work. I'm striking at you, keeping you on the defensive, THEN I go for the shot. Or, I wait for you to commit to a punch of kick, THEN I go for the shot. you don't have sufficient time to move laterally. At best, you may get one leg out of the way, which is fine, because I can still take you down with the one leg that I have.

See the thing is if you move at a 45 and back from the first strike the shot will be a mile away. Now if you close the distance then shooting in is a mute point it's probably better attempted a standing take down or throw. It's all about distance and timing. I'm not saying that moving this way makes you immune to double or single leg takedown, it just makes it a little more difficult. I feel more vunerable with the single leg than the double for some reason. I like moving in ways that I get in back of the opponent and jack him from the back or at the 45 so that they have to completely adjust. You can also do this stuff in a tight spot it doesn't take alot space to find little holes to move to. You guys that compete when you in close try stomp kicking someones upper thigh or their hip kind of like your kicking a door down it should send them to the floor. I've yet to see many people employ good non-telegraphed stomp kicks at close range in competition. Try it let me know how it goes. I'm looking for a place that does full contact for visitors do you know of any in my area?

even stepping at 45, you will have a leg available - it doesn't take any real effort to grab the leg that's in front - you still have a single leg there. Hands down, the best defense against a shot is the sprawl.

Yeah you're right about the leg being in range, but if you have good movement there's hardly any weight on the leading leg and can moved in an instant, but that also depends upon distancing. Really the if you see the way we are being taught to move, you'd be very surprised how fast you can react to stuff. It's pretty amazing.

If you need to take someone down from behind, and don't for whatever want to put on a sleeper hold, then getting a thumb in the jugular, and the rest of the grip in the carotid (or vice versa) works pretty well - put it on quickly, and the sudden pain is enough to get most people down - what you do then, though, is up to you!

Plus you have the option, in a real emergency, of getting a solid grip behind the windpipe - this is very dangerous though, and only to be used when you're in real danger.

EC

You must empty your cup before you can fill it - Zen saying