• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Grading

Is there an official time lenght in between belts from white to black in TKD? If so, what are the guide lines for testing?

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one else answered I will take a shot. Usually takes between 2-3 years to get a Black Belt in TKD. Some people that are there alot or learn quick might get it sooner. At my dojang at least the lower belt tests, 10-4, are done whenever you are ready. Levels 3-1 are done between 3 and 6 months or more depending on how good you are.

Long Live the Fighters!

At our school we are required to make a minimum number of classes between belts (16 for 10th to 5th Gup, 24 for 4th to 2nd Gup and then 32 to first Gup) plus instructor approval. Then from 1st Gup to Black Belt is about 6 months with instructor approval. Two and a half years is the very minimum with most people between 3 and 3.5 years. With Hapkido, figure at least 4 years at 3 classes minimum per week. From what other TKD practitioners tell me, we are a bit longer than most schools, but I guess that’s not always a bad thing. We’ve had students at 1st Gup for almost 2 years. Our Master will not award you a black belt until you can do everything required of you.

World Musado Federation

Bong Soo Han IHF

For color belts, it's about three months till we get to probationary (we call it provisional) black. You stay there anywhere from 5 to 9 months. Then you have to get permission for a "mock black belt test" before the actual thing. If you fail the mock test, you don't test for black till the next BB test. That can be for an additional three months or so.

Black belts have to wait for a certain period of time before they test again. 1st dan waits 2 years to test for 2nd. 2nd dans wait 3 years to test for 3rd, ect.

Our ranks go: white, yellow (half white half yellow), gold, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red, provisional black, then black.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...