• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help me learn how to run!

I have always hated running, but I think it's because of my approach. Everytime I want to try to start running, I just go for it and end up getting bored or too winded and I just get miserable. However, I'd like to work on my cardio and I need to vary my routine, so I'd like to try it. Runners out there, help me! How did you start running? How do I build up to say, a 5K? Thanks so much!

Oh, and I'm not dreadfully "out of shape" - I train like 3 TKD classes and 3 BJJ classes a week, and I'm generally active.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick a pork chop in your back pocket and cut the chain on the neighbor's dog. You won't get bored.

Seriously, you can put your headphones on and go for a shorter distance at first. Time yourself. Increase your distances by 1K after a while. Change your routes. Run up hilly areas. Find a partner to run with you.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Just force yourself to do it. think about all the good things about running. Everything will be much easer if you get in good shape. Try with about 2 miles, 3km. Do rushes in downhills. After a while you might run a little bit farther, and farther, and before you know it you will get up to 10 ks runs.
Shukokai Karate, Orange belt ( 7. kyu)

Basically you just have to make yourself go out and do it when you don't feel like it. Soon it become a regular part of your training routine. I hate running too but I feel like something is missing when I don't get my runs in.

To work up to a 5k ( or 10K) you can try this:

walk briskly for 10 minutes then, run for 2 minutes, rest for 1

run for 2, rest for one, etc., until you get to 20 minutes (30 minutes total)

Each 2-3 runs, increase the run time by 1 or 2 minutes until you can un for 20 minutes without rest. Then start adding minutes using the same formula.

Don't worry about the mileage, only the amount of time you can run without stopping. Eventually you will work up to a 10K...and your speed will have increased dramatically!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The best advice I ever got about running was to slow down. Especially when you're starting out, there's no reason to treat it like a race. I saw one place (running magazine, actually - a good investment of three dollars or whatever, the copy I picked up had lots of articles with tips for frustrated beginners) that said if you're too out of breath to talk to your running partner, then you're going too fast. Focus on increasing the time/distance you can run without breaks, presumably the speed will come later.

Where do you run? Road runs? Track runs? Sometimes being on one or the other does something mentally. Another good thing is to find a friend to run with. Maybe you know someone from the Track team at your school, who actually LIKES running. If this person goes slow, and lets you set the pace, then it should be a great boost in training.

Also, you might try playing out a movie or cartoon your know by heart in your heart. Or play a song you LOVE and know by heart in your head, making your own music video out of it. Just anything to keep your mind busy while you body works, and keep you from getting bored, adn when yo ustart running farther, keep you from focusing on the pain.

This is how I started.

1. Buy a good pair of shoes.

2. Set a time, say 30 minutes and try to run 1 mile and walk one. (Start with 3-4 times in a week.)

3. Increase it to 1.5 and walk. Do this a few times.

4. By the third week you should be able to do 3 in a row.

By the time you can do 3 miles without too much strain, you may actually start to enjoy it. You will find a comfortable pace and you will see the benefits in your cardio during classes. For more ideas go to:

https://www.runnersworld.com

and click on the beginners section on how to get started. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Find a scenic area where you will enjoy running. I hate running too, but I'm also thinking of forcing myself to like it. :lol:

Part of what I hate the most is how boring it is, so some interesting landscape should help.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.