• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Howdy folks!

So I guess it is time to say welcome. My original training was in Matsubayashi Shorin ryu. Then I went through Hayashi Hai Shito ryu then Shotokan. My style swithches were due to transportation availability or lack thereof.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a year after getting my shodan, my sensei moved to Minnesota and basically, quit teaching at that point. The senior student of the dojo, Pat W., was a Nidan (2nd Dan) and I was just below him as a shodan. Pat had no interest in teaching the class, and our instructor was his best friend, so he quit the arts immediately and never returned. Very sad really, he was very talented.

I was left with a few choices.

1. Take over the existing class and teach it as a shodan (my sensei was a sandan).

2. Quit the arts like Pat did. (wasn't an option to me)

3. Change systems. The only other systems available were TKD or Hawaiian kempo. Both of those sensei's went out and got drunk often and beat up people randomly...PASS! lol

So, I took over my sensei's class for about 5 years, then moved to where I am now. I was totally on my own for about 9 years, not knowing ANY other sensei of this system in the United States.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Few. Now this is an introduction thread. :nod:

Welcome.

Yes and how an introduction should be.........

Shorin-ryu Sensei, by concepts I was just looking for a simple summing up of your style i.e "a relaxed style concentrating mainly in body evasion with upright stances." Or something like that. It was kinda difficult to understand some of what you were trying to say, seems pretty "standard" stuff. Relaxing throughout the technique until impact. Perhaps I am over simplyfying what you said.

Anyway thank-you for taking the time to share all that with us. It made for an interesting read and allowed us further insight into your karate. I look forward to your further contributions.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

"a relaxed style concentrating mainly in body evasion with upright stances."

Sorry...this is pretty accurate I guess :)

I get a bit wordy sometimes when I start talking karate. :roll:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• 2 weeks later...
I get a bit wordy sometimes when I start talking karate. :roll:

That's ok, your words generally make good sense! Enjoyed the description of your style.

Freedom isn't free!

• 4 weeks later...
welcome Shorinryu Sensei. I enjoy reading your replies. Our styles seem to utilize most of the same concepts. I look forward to reading more in the future.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.