• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

self teaching.

i was wondering if a person starts MA by self teaches themselves a martial art style,than is it safe to say that this martial art style is there first style of the martial arts or not? :-? i belive you sould go to a real MA school to learn, but still,if you begin self teaching yourself a martial art style,than is it safe to say that that martial art style is you first or not? :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uugghhh???

Exactly what martial art are you teaching yourself?

What credentials do you have to teach an art?

What references are you useing?

Are you the only one in class?

My guess is that this is not your first martial art. Self teaching just doesn't work when training a martial art system. Sorry.

Freedom isn't free!

First of all martialartsresearcher, your words are making very little sense to me. if I understand it correctly, you are saying that you are teaching yourself a martial art, but feel a school would be better..right?

There aare a vast number of books and videos you can purchase that supposedly will teach you a martial art without having to go to a school, but uin my opinion, all you'll learn is some basic movements without really understanding what you are doing. It would be ike watching Top Gun 20 times, and then putting you in a jet fighter and saying.."Go ahead and fly!" Not happening bud.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It would be ike watching Top Gun 20 times, and then putting you in a jet fighter and saying.."Go ahead and fly!" Not happening bud.

Flight training used to begin with days in front of a cardboard cut-out.

I agree that any physical activity benifits from having somone to physically interact with / check; but the general principle of "you can't learn from books" is silly... Not the best way to learn this particular field, but do-able.

So wait a minute, what were the credentials of the cherished masters? What references? How did they come up with their styles that are now so holy and sacred?

Hmm...I guess self-teaching just doesn't work. Somone must have taught the originators of the styles, right? Such a silly idea, human invention. I guess it's just quite impossible for someone to give thought to the idea of creation and work towards refinement of that idea.

Teaching yourself from books is one thing, but teaching yourself from human invention is another and I would dare say it is not as silly or far-fetched a concept as many would like to believe. I mean, how did the old masters accomplish anything if they just didn't create it?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I might be the only person here but I do believe that you can learn for the most part by yourself. basics are all that you need in a fight that is why they are drilled to death, it becomes part you your instint. I also believe that you do need at least a partner so that you may get feedback and also get the feel of resistance. Im not saying you will be the best and for sure you can not promote yourself but you will learn more to survive than you would laying around the house.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

So wait a minute, what were the credentials of the cherished masters? What references? How did they come up with their styles that are now so holy and sacred?

Good question, but you need to realize that the TMA's out there are based on actual real combat techniques that worked for the origionators of the systems. If certain techniques didn't work, the masters were killed and the system died, so we can make the assumption (right or wrong I guess) that if the techniques that we (TMA people like myself) are diligently trying to master actually do work in a real confrontation. They have for me so far in the real fights I've been involved in since starting training.

Assuming the author of this thread has no prior MA experience, other than movies, books and the Ninja Turtles cartoon on Saturday mornings, trying to teach yourself a MA is fine, but being able to actually EXECUTE the techniques effectively is something else.

There are many martail arts systems that I have never seen, yet I could probably watch them do a technique a few times and mimic it myself. Does that mean I know the technique and what it would be used for?

Well, with my experience, possibly, but someone with no MA backgroud? Doubtful.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i think if you were going to try to teach yourself to fight, you would have to go about it with a completely blank slate.

otherwise, you might attempt to copy a move without understanding it and get it wrong.

with a totally blank slate you will be doing things that you know will wotk for you, not moves that someone says will work.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Now, please take this link with a grain of salt, because the publisher who it comes from, does have something to gain from this article. That said, here it is.

http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=485

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I don't see too much of a problem with self-teaching. There are many self-taught artists of numerous disciplines. Certainly a solid foundation helps in the event such a person wishes to perfect and teach his or her own art later.

I seem to recall a relatively young gung fu practictioner who created (taught himself) another style; perfected it and taught it. All before the age of 30. And Jeet Kune Do is doing just fine.

So Many Masters; So Few Students