• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul

It's scheduled for July 20th on Netflix, who is getting into streaming live sports. Any thoughts on the fight?

I find it strange that there is a three-decade age gap between the fighters. Has anything close to this ever happened before? I don't follow boxing and have never really watched it, so I have no idea.

I don't know much about Jake Paul; I think he emerged three or four years ago through social media and got some fights because of it?

I will likely watch this fight and it would be the first Tyson fight I have ever seen live.

Edit: I realized I should have made this a poll question after I posted, so I added it now.

Edited by KarateKen

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching Tyson's workouts and such, and I got to say that while Tyson's up there in age, he looks solid as before and quite formidable; doesn't seem to have lost much of anything. A force to still be recognized.

I find it strange that there is a three-decade age gap between the fighters. Has anything close to this ever happened before? I don't follow boxing and have never really watched it, so I have no idea.

The 30 years of ages between Tyson, 58 years old, and Paul, 28 years old, is the most with a significant age difference between the fighters in pro boxing matches.

Other boxing fights where the age is a big difference:

*Anthony Osbourne [31] vs Saoul Mamby [60] = 29 years difference

*George Foreman [48] vs Shannon Briggs [25] = 23 years difference

*Carlos Baldomir [39] vs Saul Alvarez [20] = 19 years difference

*Harry Dulven Jr [21] vs Harry Dulven Sr [39] = 18 years difference

*Kelly Pavlik [26] vs Bernard Hopkins [43] = 17 years difference

I don't know much about Jake Paul; I think he emerged three or four years ago through social media and got some fights because of it?

Jake Paul is the younger brother of Logan Paul. Both are YouTube influencers.

Logan Paul had 2 pro fights, 1-1, as well as an exhibition fight against Mayweather before signing up with the WWE, of which he's the current U.S. Champion.

Jake Paul seems to have a more serious boxing career than his brother, Logan, with a pro boxing record of 6-0, of which he has four wins via knockout, one via split decision, and one via unanimous decision.

Tyson wins against Jake Paul soundly via a knockout. Age, while relevant, is just a number when one looks at Tyson's experience/knowledge vs what Paul brings to the table of boxing.

I guess we'll see what we'll see.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm betting Tyson still has heavy hands, and I reckon that when he hits Paul, Paul will realize he's never been hit that hard before.

I'm taking Tyson. He may have no footwork, but he'll still hit hard.

Mike Tyson is my favorite boxer...ever. In Tyson's prime, he would put Paul away quick.

That being said, he cannot beat Jake Paul at this point. Jake Paul is an active boxer...Tyson is not. Couple that with the age difference and it won't be close.

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

I am going to go against the grain and vote Jake Paul. I would prefer Mike Tyson to win, but Mr Tyson was last in the ring four years ago for an Exhibition Match against Roy Jones Jr which ended in a split decision. Credit to Tyson in that he is 2 years older than Jones, and Jones was last active professionally in 2018 (Before his fight last year against Anthony Pettis) compared to Tyson's last bout prior being in 2005. But that was four years ago, and Tyson is of an age where 4 years can make a huge difference compared to someone in their 20s or 30s.

Jake Paul is not a terrible boxer, even if his record is some what padded:

AnEsonGib is a Youtuber. Admittedly he was 2-0 as an Amateur Boxer before facing Paul, so more experienced than Paul, but otherwise a fair competition on paper. Paul securing an early TKO actually speaks in his favour in terms of his talent. Gib has since done well in the controversial Kingpyn High Stakes Tournament but I would take that with a pinch of salt considering the calibre of competitor. On balance, it just suggests Gib was not as easy an opponent as Paul made it look.

Nate Robinson was fighting his first fight and was a Basketball player who was basically pushed into an enforced retirement at 33 due to injury. There is no other way to put it except that it was padding Paul's record, and Robinson was in that ring for brand recognition not as a fighter.

Ben Askren never knocked anyone out, never mind on their feet: he achieved TKOs via ground and pound. He retired from MMA to have hip surgery, and when it came to the fight Askren came in heavier than he ever had in his previous fighting career. Throughout his MMA career Askren fought as a Welterweight (71 and 77 kg), though he fought a catchweight bout in 2016, but fought Paul in the Cruiserweight Division (80 and 86 KG). And the weight showed in Askren looking bloated and unconditioned. It was more clever padding as Askren was a great fighter in his time, but when one looks at the details more closely, it shows Askren was chosen because he was aging out and not a dangerous striker.

The two Tyron Woodley bouts are where it becomes interesting to me. Like Askren, Woodley is a wrestler by training whose victories mostly came from putting people on the floor for submission attempts or ground and pound. However Woodley, from the top of my head, knocked out Josh Koscheck and Robbie Lawler on their feet. An important distinction when considering how dangerous a striker is coming from MMA to boxing: did they ever hurt someone with a punch on their feet? Plus, Woodley went the distance several times against better strikers, at least on paper, such as Stephen Thompson and got decisions in his favour. Woodley's striking acumen and knockout ability were arguably a league above Askren's so he posed a bigger threat to Paul. It is interesting that they went the distance to a split decision in their first meet, but Paul secured a KO in their second. Whether Woodley was not as prepared the second time due to being a replacement, and that made the difference, or Paul had gotten his number from their first bout being the question. I thought Woodley came out a better and more aggressive boxer in their second fight so I have to give credit to Paul for earning the KO personally. Nonetheless, Woodley was a novice at this point so even if I consider him more dangerous than Askren as a cross-over competitor, I am disinclined to consider it a boxing match against a boxer. Plus, as with Askren, Woodley came in heavier than he had during his MMA career. Woodley, as with Askren, was a Welterweight for his MMA career but fought Paul as a Cruiserweight. Personally, I thought Woodley looked as conditioned as he ever had so I do not think the weight made much of a difference to his fitness, but from a fighting weight perspective Woodley was overweight compared to what he once fought at. Plus, as Paul more naturally walks around as a Cruiserweight, all his bouts have been in this class, he is going to have an advantage in conditioning. He does not need to bulk to make weight, and it is unlikely he needs to cut if he keeps himself in the pink. It is not difficult to live at 200 lbs at 6’1 If you keep yourself relatively fit.

Anderson Silva out boxed Julio César Chávez Jr. (53-6-1) to a split decision only fifteen months before meeting Paul. Silva won 23 of his 34 MMA victories by knock-out. Silva also finished Julio César Chávez Jr. by KO, and Tito Ortiz by KO, in two of his five boxing matches. The record I can find for Chávez suggests it was his professional debut, and Ortiz's chin has been a little suspect since UFC 66. But those two knock-outs are proof Silva has knock-out power as a Boxer. Paul taking a Unanimous Decision off Silva was no small feat, even if we consider Silva another cross-over fighter, he has been one of the successful ones. This fight alone should make us consider Paul's potential to upset even great fighters. Plus, Silva has fought as a Middleweight and Light Heavyweight meaning he did not come in at an entirely new and unusual weight class to fight Paul.

Paul then managed a Split Decision against Tommy Fury. This bout needs a more thorough examination than most. Fury came in undefeated, like Paul, but with two more fights under his belt and seven against Traditional Boxers. Anthony Grant (5-4) was an MMA fighter making his debut boxing match against Fury. On paper, it reads as though Fury is the much more tried and tested boxer because of this as Paul had otherwise only fought cross-over fighters, two of them known more for their wrestling in MMA than their striking and fighting heavier than they ever had before, and all of them aged out passed their peak. However, the only Boxer that Fury fought who came to their fight with a winning record at the time, and who still has one, is Jordan Grant (6-4). Even if we consider Paul's record padded, he largely fought former top talents from the world of MMA. Fury's record, though filled with traditional boxers, is made up of club boxers that between them have a verified combined record of 10-156, which is 6.4% winning rate or roughly one victory in sixteen fights. Admittedly, before meeting Fury said verified combined record was 3-42, however, the average losing streak amongst his opponents before facing him was 7 which is only 1 higher than the average of 6 bouts fought in total before their bouts with Fury. To give credit to Fury, and to balance the argument, each of his opponents had more boxing experience than him coming into their fights. For curiosity’s sake, the reported but unverified combined record is of all of Fury’s prior opponents to Paul is 38-300-5, which translates to an 11.07% winning rate. The reported records give three out of eight of his opponents winning records, though only two verified, and only two with no victories to their names. Nonetheless, it suggests that Fury did not fight a high calibre of opponents. This is not good for Jake Paul because after getting a KO victory over Tyron Woodley and a Unanimous Decision over Anderson Silva he gives away a split decision to Fury. Looking at Fury’s opponents and their calibre he has obviously been protected and has a very padded resume. Thus, this SD loss is either a massive slip up on Paul’s side, or his boxing fundamentals are not as good as they need to be, and his earlier successes came from fighting credible fighters who were nonetheless novice boxers. Fury has since gone on to earn a Unanimous Decision win against KSI (4-1-0) which is not a win to write home about.

The Nick Diaz bout was a farce and a catchweight bout. Diaz just did not seem to want to be there from the first second, never mind the first round. I consider Diaz one of the better Fighter-Punchers in MMA regarding his ability with his hands, so I was surprised to see his performance be what it was in this fight. The bug bear of the weight issues rears its head again as with the Askren and Woodley, Paul fought someone who never fought near the Cruiserweight bracket before. With that said, Nate Diaz has a hard chin but he otherwise spent 10 Rounds making Paul look good, though admittedly Diaz did seem to come alive in round 8 and forced Paul to clinch a few times. Nonetheless, I cannot recall seeing Diaz land any flush punches, but I recall seeing him take several. However, having seen Paul knock out Woodley, and knockdown Askren and Silva, I was surprised to see him unable to knock out Diaz. It was a poor performance from Paul rather than a great performance from Diaz from my perspective because Diaz just never seemed in the fight, although Paul still secured the Unanimous Decision.

After the slide against Fury and Diaz, Paul seemed to bounce back with a convincing first round knock-out of Andre August. This was, arguably, Paul’s second bout against a traditional boxer. We can discard the previous weight issues as August is a Cruiserweight boxer. Plus, according to BoxRec, August was 10-1-0 with a five-fight win streak going into his fight with Paul. Although, his verified record would be 3-1 if using several sources to confirm rather than one. August’s past opponents, compared to Fury’s, also had a much more even-handed combined record of 42-105-9, which translates to a 26.92% win rate. It should be noted that August appears to have had a significant break between 2019 and 2023 which does not align with Covid-19 restrictions. He is currently 35 so may have been looking to wind down his career, but his trainer has recently said he may retire to focus on his family, so his break from boxing may have coincided with the birth of his children. That aside and said, however, August had a bout in 2023 against the then undefeated, 7-0, Brandon Martin during which August handed Martin his first defeat. After which he fought Paul. One could have attributed the loss to ring rust, but his victory against Martin suggests he had not lost much of his step being out the game for four years. August’s knock-out loss to Paul was only second loss but first loss by KO, and somewhat reaffirms Paul’s potential knock out power.

Paul’s last fight was then his third fight against a traditional boxer in Ryan Bourland (17-2-0). A fight which ended with a first round TKO victory for Paul. Bourland had suffered both a TKO and KO loss previously so not an exceptional achievement in contrast to being the first to knock out August in 12 fights. Again, no weight issues to consider as Bourland is a Cruiserweight. However, as with August there are odd gaps in his fight record. Before the 17th September, 2022, Bourland last fought in October, 2018. A gap, again, not really explained by Covid-19 restrictions. Bourland is also 35 and again, the gap aligns with the idea he may have been planning to wind down his career. Nonetheless, he did come back in 2022 and won a TKO victory against Santario Martin, before then facing Jake Paul this month. Unlike with August, where the August-Martin fight could be viewed as a warm-up bout for August after his time out, because he fought Martin on the 11th July and then Paul in the December, Bourland seems to have come into the fight against Paul cold. That said, of the traditional boxers Paul has faced, Bourland unarguably has the most competitive back catalogue of opponents. His opponent’s combined record is 104-129-13, which translates to a winning rate of 42.27%. Significantly greater than the winning rates of Tommy Fury or Andre August’s past opponents. Mathematically, from a chance angle, Fury’s average opponent could win one out of ten bouts, August’s would win two but could win three out of ten, but Bourland’s would win four but could win five. On paper, with maths consider alone, Bourland is the most competitive traditional boxer that Paul has faced, and Paul put him down in one round.

In short, I think Jake Paul is a more dangerous boxer than a lot give him credit for because he is a Youtuber, he is a clown for the screen, and he has built his boxing career on PPV Cross-Over bouts against retired or aging MMA Fighters. But he has convincingly defeated two traditional boxers, has a victory against Anderson Silva who defeated former world champion Julio César Chávez Jr. only a short while ago, and he has a 66.67% knockout rate from his 9 victories.

But the world of cruiserweight and heavyweight can be very different. The cruiserweight division was created because promoters felt it unfair for men of 190 lbs to be fighting the average, fit, heavyweight of 210 lbs which emerged in the 70s. If Tyson still has his punching power, and sufficient hand speed, then his punches are going to be very different to anything Paul has faced before. Plus, Paul gave away a SD to Fury who has a padded resume, who only gets the attention he does because of Love Island Infamy and bring the brother of Tyson Fury. August and Bourland are at best journeymen boxers who I doubt anyone would be talking about if they were not brought into the spotlight to fight Jake Paul. Mike Tyson in his prime fought the best of the best and was the best of the best. The lowest calibre fighter he ever lost to, in my opinion, was Kevin McBride who was a National Champion and fought for international titles.

Paul is dangerous and has a puncher’s chance. However, for Tyson to win convincingly it will require Tyson coming into the fight as fit as can be for a 58-year-old. There in lies my doubt. I do not know if Tyson will manage it, and I think Paul is more dangerous than a lot credit him. George Foreman shocked the world. If Tyson can come back in the shape, he was against Roy Jones Jr, then I think he will win as I want him to. But my instinct is that Paul will upset the world as he often does.

R. Keith Williams

Excellent points Fat Cobra and Wado Heretic of which I agree with for the most. I'm an old softy that cheers for the supposed Underdog, which seems to be Tyson.

Not sure if I'll even watch the fight at all.

May the best man win.

I would like Tyson to win, and if he comes in to the fight in the same shape he managed to come in against Jones four years ago, I think he can win. If he has kept himself in the pink, and puts in a good camp I think Tyson will come in as potentially a higher calibre boxer than Paul has faced yet.

But, and this is where I think Fat Cobra hits the nail on the head, Tyson will be 58 going into this match. He had an exhibition bout in 2020 against someone else coming in over 50, but last had a serious bout in 2005. He might be able to come in with heavy and fast hands still, but we need to consider defence: will Tyson have the reactions still to make his defence work? There is only so much one can do against the march of time.

Paul is 27, has been very active in his boxing with three fights in 2021 and three in 2023, and he had a match just this month. He only got around to one fight in 2022 for some reason. Even if he has not fought boxers of the calibre Tyson did in his prime, he has fought noted fighters. Paul does not seem to have been dazzled by the reputation of his opponents such as Anderson Silva.

Tyson can win if he comes in fit enough, but at 58 I do not see it happening. If Paul does not allow himself to be beaten by Tyson's aura and reputation, and gets in there and does the work I think Paul is more likely to walk away the winner.

My breakdown was more to point out Paul can box. He has fought novice boxers, but capable fighters, even if they were aging, over-weight, and from a different sport. His resume is obviously padded, but the traditional boxers he has fought have had equally, if not more, padded resumes. Robinson and Askren are more or less the only two we could call Tomato Cans on his fight card. Woodley had potential on paper, Diaz has potential and went the distance, Silva proved his potential against a former world champion. August and Bourland are inarguably Club Boxers, and Fury puffed up by celebrity and his connection to Fury the Greater, but all traditional boxers with more experience than Paul himself. Yet Paul won two out of three and managed a Split Decision even in defeat.

Tyson is a legend and always a point of reference in any serious discussion of a Heavyweight GOAT. Paul will be the lowest rated opponent Tyson will have fought since 1985 during his rookie years. But Tyson is 58, and Paul has knocked people down and out. Speed on the defence is the first thing to get chipped away at by age, and Paul has a dangerous offence.

R. Keith Williams

It's a weird one. Just have a sneaky feeling Tyson will do it. For me it will come down to his chin. Reminds me a little of George Foreman when he made his comeback: nowhere near the fighter he was but still had a great chin and power.

I can see Jake Paul's youth allowing him to take charge a fair amount but if Tyson can weather that (and his chin holds out) i fancy him to hit Paul a couple of times at least. Then it comes down to how good Paul's chin is and if he can take a shot from Tyson. Power is the last thing to go, but maybe late 50s is when it will have vanished.

I'm edging slightly 55 / 45 Tyson Ko versus Jake Paul decision personally

There is always a puncher's chance that Tyson gets good blows in early and KOs Paul, but... I will go 70 Paul (decision) / 30 Tyson (KO).

Godan in Ryukyu Kempo

Head of the Shubu Kan Dojo in Watertown, NY

(United Ryukyu Kempo Alliance)

So far, our poll shows with 7 votes, 5 for Tyson and 2 for Paul.

Fights July 20, 2024, at AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, in Arlington, TX. Lowest ticket costs $200.