• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kick height is the key stretching, strength or both?

aes

Some of you might have seen my posts here about how to stretch so I can kick higher/better.

Several people have told me that the height of kicks is not dependent on flexibility but rather done via leg strength.

I find this hard to believe. If I stand and try to do a front push kick my hamstrings are too tight to allow me to push to full extension with any height. I figure this is my current limiting factor.

Sure once this is loosened I will need good leg strength to do it fast without tiring but until then it seems to me it is all about flexibility.

I also figure that stronger hip flexor muscles will allow you to fight the tightness more effectively but the root cause is my flexibility.

What does everyone else think?

Al

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with KickChick, you really do need both. I believe that you must have flexibilty first though, and I would place more importance on it. You can have strong legs, and still not kick high. You can flexibility without strong legs and still kick high.

Flexibility is key, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Strong legs will help give you more power with your kicks when you reach higher altitude. But if your not flexible then you will never kick high, properly. Flexiblity is crucial in a lot of things, ranging from control, balance, speed, and power. Flexibility will improve all these things in your kicks.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

If you're like me you want to be both flexible and strong. There is no point in kicking higher than the lead cheerleader if you can't wound a squirrel with it. I am not an expert at training, but lately I have been profitable at improving my kicking by doing lots of stretching, lots of kicks, and supplimenting it with a bit of weight training as follows:

squats: 20/2

hamstring curls: 15/3 (I tie dumbells to ankle weights to achieve this)

one-legged foot raises: 25 with weights per set, and 45+ without weights

standing side kick: hold 10+ seconds (you can start by holding on to a wall)

standing front kick: same as above, don't get me started on ankle-weights. :D

Notice the high repitition count. I believe this is important because it will keep you from getting your muscles from tightening up real fast, and will improve endurance a bit. Remember, also do lots of kicking and stretching to keep from tensing up, but don't overdo it. I would like to improve my kicks just as much as the next man, so keep the advice comming. Also, I do all this at home and do not have access to a local gym. Therefore, any critisism will be welcomed. I am only a green belt.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Both. Howver the key IMO is not leg flexability as much as it is hip flexability.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

G95 brings up a good point, your hips must be flexible as well. It's a combination of both. Have both hip and leg flexibility and you will kick higher with much more ease. They go hand in hand, one without the other, and your cutting yourself short.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Flexibility gives you a greater range of motion (potential to kick high)

Strength gives you the ability to attain, reach and/or sustain this height.

You want FLEXIBILITY in you hip ADductor (inner thighs), Gluteus Maximus (but) and Hamstrings. The aductor restricts your legs spreading, and the gluteus and hamstrings resist your front leg raise at different angles.

You want STRENGTH in your Gluteus, hip ABductors and Hip flexors.

(type any of those muscle groups into google search engine and you'll find lots of picture and or exercises)

You DON'T want loose or flexble JOINTS you want flexible MUSCLES.

Look after your ligaments always warm up!

Bretty :)

Someone once told me that the ability to throw high kicks (like a head level side kick) at an extremely slow pace and stopping at the height of the extension is a neat-o way of demonstrating the combination of flexibility and strength in the legs. I also remember my instructor mentioning the importance of abdominal strength for good kicking ability. Any comments?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Slow motion kicking is great to develop strength and balance.

Another point for higher kicks is to use proper technique.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.