• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DiEt InFo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

follow a food guide (i.e. the food pyramid, canada food guide). also depends how old you are, what you're goals are... don't get stuck on thinking "gotta eat meat to get big!". protein is integral to muscle building, but just eating protein isn't going to help. Northamericans already consume greater than necessary amounts of protein(meats and alternatives). even for training athletes, what NA's eat is enough for them. (general stats)

eat a variety from each of the 4 food groups, choosing lean meats, and eating fruits and vegies ofthen.

this has been brief and probably common knowledge, but too often people get sucked into gimmick diets when all they need to do is eat smarter. just because you start training for somehting, doesn't mean you have to change your diet completely.

Breakfest - eggs in any way you want.

Lunch - meat & salad

Tea - meat & salad

I admit it does get boring.. you can find recepies on low carb mailing lists so you don't get bored and go back to carbohydrates.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

If I'm not mistaken, on the Atkins low carb diet, you can eat only 6 grams of carbs per day in the first week, and 20 grams a day after that. i don't know what one you're following, but it should be a similar thing. No sugar, fruit, caffine, regular fizzy drinks, skimmed milk etc. Any of that sugar free stuff is fine too.You can eat any meat or fish, including stuff like sausages, beef etc.

For breakfast I used to eat, eggs or an cheese omelette, bacon, sausages and sometimes a few mushrooms (out of my carb allowance) and a decaff coffee with sweeteners.

Then i'd have meat/fish and salad. I used to add some crispy bacon and grated cheese to it, to liven it up a bit. You can have sugar free Jelly and cream for dessert, or any sugar free dessert that is carb free. Same sort ofthing for my evening meal too.

If you buy soya flour, you can make things like pancakes, and bread etc, so long as the recipe has no carbs in it, you'll be Ok with it :smile:

On 2002-05-12 16:59, three60roundhouse wrote:

KG - I am betting on seeing a lot of Atkins-related heart attaks in the future. Having a fatty steak for breakfast can't be that much better than a loaf of white bread!

haha, 'cause Dr.Atkins had heart problems ? It wasn't related to his diet that he's been on for years anyway..

Our ancestors ate far more fats than what we did and they lived longer.. Since cheap foods high in carbs have become revolutionalised, the average life span of people compared to our ancestors has decreased and we've become shorter and more obese.. Doesn't that say enough ? The longer shelf live a product has, the longer it stays on the body..

'low fat' is just one of many marketing campaigns/strategies used to appeal to the population that is overweight.. 'Diet' and 'low fat' foods are no better than 'regular' foods, they're just as bad if not worse because of all the sugars loaded in them to give them flavour.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I don't eat fatty steaks for breakfast. I don't fry my food, like the diet says to, I grill or steam it. I'm aware of the possible heart realted risks of the diet, but bear in mind that exersize keeps your heart healthy, and I do plenty of that :smile:

Some of the information given on the diet is slighty irresponsible, like they don't tell you that you'll feel awful for the first few days! Or that fat in large amounts is bad for you, no matter what diet your on. I think if the Atkins type diet is combined with common sense and exersize, its not a bad thing to be on

Several things to bear in mind when following a nutritional regimen (I hate that 4-letter word d-i-e-t)

1. To eat breakfast! When you skip it your metabolism slows down and you will notice that you will have low blood sugar all day long because of it. When you do get the chance to eat you are so hungry that you may make the wrong meal choice ... pigging out on junk food or a candy bar to sustain you. If you hate to eat first thing .... have a whey protein shake with a banana or nutrition bar (I've been having Oatmeal Raisin Slimfast bars).... Breakfast jump starts your metabo

2. Waiting too long before or in between meals also lowers blood sugar levels and increases cravings for sugar and to binge. So after you have your breakfast keep your metabo going by eating small meals every 3-4 hours, with the metabo going strong you will inhibit muscle tissue loss and use fat for fuel. They say the key to losing bodyfat is meal frequency.

3. Your body starts to store fat the minute it gets the impulse that you are starving or if you eat too many calories. The amount of calories you eat in just one day is doesn't matter as much as how many you eat within one meal. You can ingest all your daily calories in one huge meal but your body will only use the say 500 calories it needs at the moment and then stores the leftovers say the other 1000 as fat to be used later. That's if you do end up using it!

4. Each meal should be balanced nutritionally. Say 1/4 protein 1/4 fat and 1/2 carbs ... important to feed the brain, repair/build muscle and fuel metabolism. Contrary to popular (Atkins) belief ....carbs do not make you fat. Overconsuming fat and total calories will make you fat. Overconsuming carbs (eating more than 70%) increases your risk of getting diabetes, but not eating enough carbs can place your muscle gains, metabolism and endurance at risk. One thing I do is not to have any carbs after 5:00 .... if not used immediately for energy it too will in turn into glucose.

5. Bon is correct about those fat-free foods! They do contain high amounts of sugar which causes your body to over produce insulin which will in turn store that excess sugar as fat. So its better to have a small piece of a sweet treat than a larger fat-free dessert.

6. Write down what you eat ... you will be amazed at your findings.