• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spilitting Legs

i can't do this i feel like shooot. coz my legs hurt so much.. my Guan jang nim said you are so unflexbible what can i do??

i am a korean boy who will rock korea with my fists may be next 10 years i am already a bruce lee of korea

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Few things to keep in mind.

1. High Kicks are more for show. If you use them for SD they will do nothing but get you hurt. So the split is not that big of a deal.

2. Several things to look at. How old are you. The older a person in the harder it is to get limber.

3. Do you lift weights. If so always stretch you hamstrings and hips before so you will not loose any flexability. Also after you get done.

4. Take 10 mins each night or mourning to do some light streatching.

5. Just relax sometimes people try to force a stretch and can't get a good one so just be calm and take your time no big deal.

Again I will point out don't worry about it. Doing a split is more important for cheerleaders, dancers, even athletes than martial artists. Train to your ability not anyone elses. Make up for your weakness in other areas.

I used to be able to do one. However I tore my hamstring showing off one day without getting warmed up. I can get pretty low now but honestly I don't try anymore. Flexability is very important but doing a split don't mean you are flexable.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-07-27 01:33 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Tiger,

I can't do full splits. I'm about 8 inches off the ground with front splits (before I hurt my hammy). I hate doing side splits. They hurt. But that doesn't stop me from kicking head level. I don't know why, but some people don't need to do splits to kick high (like me). I made up my mind the other day to give up on trying to do splits. I don't need to, for kicking, that is. Like G95 said, it's not too practical anyways, and I agree.

Laurie F

I can't "split" either. My legs will bend forward and up easily, so I can touch my toes, but sideways their movement is more limited.

Strangely, if I sit with feet together, I can press my knees fully to the floor. But in a split, I go nowhere...

Maybe I need more practise, but it feels like I'm hitting the the limits of the bone here, not just muscle tightness. It's like my pelvis gets in the way of further sideways movement of the leg...

KarateForums.com - Sempai

I used to do the front splits all the way down, and I was so close for the side ones, but after I started getting strech marks from doing them(is there a way not to get them?), so I stopped streching as much, Lost some flexability but I don't think it matter, cause I can still kick high. :nod:

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

Well, it's not neccesary to do the splits; in order, to be a good martial artist. however, the more flexible you are the more explosive your muscles are. I hope you can at least chamber at belt level!

I used to be able to do the splits, but i've lost my flexibility!! Constant stretching is a must!

Check these links, TIGER KOREa.

"TAE HAN MIN GUK!" :grin:

http://www.stadion.com/column.html

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=3656&forum=19&12

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

my biggest problem is that in the Army(korean adults should attend 2yrs and a 2 months Army course unless you have some problems....) and i am going to army maybe next year soon.. and i heard that in the army they will split your legs like they will force you to do it you cannot make any decisions like americans we &*%#@ up and i heard some of them got $#@%* up hip bone and some got knocked out i am very scared man.. this is bull shoot!!!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-07-30 18:11 ]

i am a korean boy who will rock korea with my fists may be next 10 years i am already a bruce lee of korea

Splits arent that important..however they do look good to pull off,there is nothing better than 2 see someone pull off a complete split. I can do a side split now but im still pretty far away from doing a complete split but im not gonna give up!

When you put water into a cup,it becomes the cup.When you put water in a T-Pot,it becomes the T-Pot..be water my friend!!

I'm not that great at splits, and I've had 7 years of dance training, and 2 2/12 years of M.A. The front one I can't do. I am about 10" off the floor on that one. I can do a full split on both sides, though. I dunno why. But to be in our full split club, you have to fo a full middle one and pose with your fists in en garde position ( i dunno what that's called).

Anywayy, luck w/ yours,

Grrrrrr,

Dee :karate:

P.s. Be sure to never stretch cold. You'll be in danger of pulling something even more. Like your hammy, Karatekid. Didn't you pull it while doing an ax kick??????? Were you trying it cold or warm??

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

Being flexible and the ability to stretch your legs is very important in Self Defense. And that would include doing the "splits" It is not accurate to state that doing high kicks in a self defense situtation will get you hurt, this is only true if you are slow, tight, and lack power. Speaking from experience, there have been a few times(thankfully only a few) where I have kicked my enemy in the face before he could move. This is due to my training I train my legs to be fast and powerful. If you are not flexible then you lose power and control of your leg. Don't be close minded to the idea of high kicks, they are deadly if you can do them properly, and if you can't then don't use them, because then you truly will be hurt.

In the warriors code, there's no surrender.