• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Under Age BlackBelts

Do children deserve BlackBelts? At every demonstration or tournament I've been to there is always kids walking around with a BlackBelt. The worst part is they are ****y. They walk around barking orders at everyone even if they are twice there age. The funny part is when they get in the ring at get thier butt kicked by an orange belt.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

-Hendrix

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say 90% of the people that wear "black belts" don't deserve them. 99% of the children with them probably shouldn't have them. Who cares though? It's just an accessory to hold up the pants, I treat "black belts" like anyone else, with no more or no less respect.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

The funny part is when they get in the ring at get thier butt kicked by an orange belt.

I think everyone knows what I'm gunna say about that, so I wont bother saying anything, as TBKen will respond the say as last time :smile:

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

I think as long as the child understands that a black belt does not make a child think he knows it all, then fine...black belt is just the beginning.

If you look at the the kyu-dan ranking system (created by Dr, Kano - and used by most systems), it wasn't until you reached 7th to 10th dan, that you were considered a technician of the art.

Swelled heads show poor leadership by senior sudents...not necessacarily a failure in the belt system itself....

Blue Dragon, outside the dojo age usually defines superiority. Inside, age has no bearing on who is the superior. If a 16 year old black belt is at a competition, then they have the right to order a 40 year old orange belt around. Unfortunately, adults have problems accepting this, and this is one reason I refuse to take an instructors / coaching course, as I could be asked to teach parts of lessons and the adults in the room dont like being taught by someone younger than them unless they are a black belt. -- for people who are familiar with the dojo I go to this includes Tobias, Kristina and Danielle.

Adults have to let go of their instincts to be superior over kids while in the dojo.

(I know this is off topic, but blue dragon made an issue of age in his post)

i've just been having a similar argument about this with tobias. You can go down as a 2nd dan, you can display the belt, but at the end of the day, if you are cr*p, you will have no respect and if asked to demonstrate your skills you will told you dont deserve the belt and people wont think much of you. If like Funakoshi, you choose to focus on quality rather than going up belts as fast as possible, you will earn respect and admiration because you should be extremely good. There is no point in going for a belt if you dont feel you are ready for it.

I think alot of the ideals of the belt system has been lost. It used to be that the student did not prepare or shoot for a rank; but rather it was awarded when the student achieved the level necessary to warrant the rank.

I guess it's hard to collect belt test fees if there is no test...

I'm not sure who said it (probably Kano) "rank follows the man" - not "man runs after rank"