Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ewing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean.

DIABLO
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good post!!!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should elaborate on the essay and have it published.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Tim. You asked in your essay...uh...i mean..."post" why do we see these fighters go into the ring if their styles are so dangerous. Pride! Two things could have happened. One, they made their own style and thought it was great all on their concieted own OR their teachers could have told them a lot of crap without showing them.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of a move that is actually designed to kill people with a simple touch.

Slider
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasta!!
Slider

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, your post is the answer to so many of these "if it was a real fight" questions , I may just refer people to it.

I have a technique that is 100% effective and non lethal. I would win 95% of my fights if I could employ it. It is called stick my fingers in your eyes If only people could learn the subtle nuances of my art. Sigh. Of course there's my lethal technique - shoot you with a gun.(Just a dark joke) But no one is man enough to spar with me on these techiniques.

People agree to the rules, restrictions, and scoring of combat before they engage in organized competition. For that competition it is real. Complaining about the nature of the event afterwards is silly.

Osu!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I especially like the part about half way through when you start the paragraph with "Finally". Then I scroll down to see it keep going & going....NNnnnnnooooooo

Just kidding. Good points in there. You should probably include a table of contents with the next one, though. :lol:

[ This Message was edited by: KSN Doug on 2002-01-14 13:39 ]

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "ring" issue is one of the things I worry about most at the moment. The idea with chest protectors (HARD ones, no softies please, you can perfectly strike through them) is a good one, though you still have to limit your power of "squeezing" the body.

To get used to unlimited force and power usages, you HAVE to use a dummy or something you can strike without worrying for the effects, because if you reach a point of power output after many years of forming the body, you get the ability to destroy what you target, and this is not changed by any protector you can use.

You can strike into or through the body, it will be a low-effort thing in the beginning, but I think you learn to get strong in your effects, so some day the effect will be bigger. If you want to see how somebody will look like if you strike his head full-force, see a video of the end of Dave Dedge in a russian ultimate-fight tournament. And then go back to practice and say you like that.

You can practice all the timing and technique issues with partner exercises, where you do all the things you can do free-style with _low_ effort, but I wouldn't call that sparring, as the one you hit has to act like he has been hit and not like he could still ignore that if it would have been executed with force. I mean, if you do all the timing stuff and never really smash something in the body of your partner, he could very well continue with his attacks, and you get a wrong impression how that would work in reality.

Someone I hit full-force into the lung or lower, or through his head would not leave the place on his own feet.
In some cases, the best defense against a slow attack into your head is to hit faster into his. In reality, he would not hit you after that, in sparring, he would. If someone tries to kick you into your mid section without previously opening you for that, you can always kick, knee or elbow through his knee. In reality, he would go to the clinic and not walk within the next three months, in sparring, he would end up near enough to envolve you in infighting.

The problem with striking styles vs. taiji-like styles is that you can do the same qinna with your partner with some less twisting, not loosing the effort of the manouvre - he ends up locked, but with his eyes not popping out of the sockets. A strike that would normally end the day of the attacker will probably not even irritate a robust fighter if not driven into a range where you cannot be sure if it will be damaging or not.
The attacks that I call "true" internal affecting are not breaking bones, they squeeze the blood flow, causing a shock to the blood valves. This is something you cannot do in sparring, for the long-time effects of that, while in a fight, I wouldn't care for that.

So, use a dummy for the fighting effort, use sparring (ring fighting) for the timing thing without knocking out each other, and do never mix that. Your mind will not let you explore things that can kill when you try that in sparring, it probably lets you when doing it onto the plastic man, flexible wall, etc.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard ninjitsu, is too deadly to have people fighting in competitions are in a ring,
guys in tight black costumes with a play sword - a punch of pansies really
-ad

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: