Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear there don't seem to be personal issues involved with the move. That certainly bodes well for your chances of saving your art in the US. I should also mention that I did not mean to offend you with my questions...you may or may not be surprised at how often these things happen for personal reasons. It's good to hear that everyone has the best interests of the students at heart.

So, as far as I understand it, there are three issues that need to be addressed with new/ammended by-laws.

1. Allowing for the opening of a branch office that has the authority of the Hombu in its decisions.

2. Filling vacant positions at the Hombu or finding a way to allow those who did not move to retain their positions while still allowing for easy and free communication between them and the Hombu.

3. Ensuring the testing panels are still able to have the correct ranking and titled instructors both in Okinawa and in the US. Failing that, possibly amend the requirements for the panel and set requirements for what ranks/titles need to be attained only in Okinawa.

This is what I've pulled from the conversations so far. Are there any other issues that have come up in the situation? Any new developments?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your questions, and no, I didn't take them personal.

At this moment, there's no new major developments. Right now, the Hombu is in full speed towards their move in January.

I fly out to the Hombu this Monday morning for the vote on the following:

1) USA Branch Office
2) Pre By-Law ammendments

Although I've no voting privileges, I'm being asked by our Kaicho and the Legal Team to address/advise further on these two areas prior to each vote. This is an open door session so that the students aren't left in the dark.

Your list is accurate, however it only scratches the surface, nonetheless, everything needs to be addressed asap.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me speak personally, and somewhat harshly to my Hombu for just a moment, if I may.

In and/or about 3 years past we've lost our Soke and Dai-Soke by their passing's. Then, out of nowhere, our new San Dai-Soke, the son of our Dai-Soke, announces through proxy a petitionary vote of the hiearchy to move our Hombu out of the USA; petition was unanimously approved.

Then in short order; our Hombu packed up our questionable future in many tidy boxes, put in a change of address, wrote some fine letters, turned off the utilities, finalized any and all financial obligations, turned in the front door key to our realtor, and then shuffled off to Okinawa without any farewell party. Here today, gone tomorrow!

The worse part of the entire thing is that there's no established USA office and we've not heard from our Hombu, no hide nor hair, nothing, in a month!! It also appears that no one and I mean NOBODY relocated to Okinawa except our San Dai-Soke and his family. However, the Hombu bank account here in the USA is inactive, yet, remains open. Nonetheless, we're standing about in dismay with our mouths wide open in total shock. We've been cast adrift, it would seem, for us to tend for ourselves.

I ask my Hombu....exactly, just what has your student body done to deserve this unprofessional and incompassionate treatment??

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the unwarranted treatment you and your martial arts family have received. Have you attempted to contact the San Dai Soke since the move? Does it seem like you (and the others) are simply being ignored?

Have you (and the others) given any serious thought to simply reopening the dojo and beginning anew?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
Sorry to hear about the unwarranted treatment you and your martial arts family have received. Have you attempted to contact the San Dai Soke since the move? Does it seem like you (and the others) are simply being ignored?

Have you (and the others) given any serious thought to simply reopening the dojo and beginning anew?

I appreciate your kind and thoughtful words.

Several key people, including myself, have written letters to our San Dai-Soke, providing the mailing address information is accurate. However, no responses have been received by us as of this post. We feel ignored!!

Yes, we've given the thought of starting anew some serious thoughts, but that's all we've done....thought about it. We'll probably act very soon. Yet, what would we look like if we acted too prematurely, however, what would we look like to our student body if we act to late...feels like Catch 22.!!??

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
ps1 wrote:

Several key people, including myself, have written letters to our San Dai-Soke, providing the mailing address information is accurate. However, no responses have been received by us as of this post. We feel ignored!!

Yes, we've given the thought of starting anew some serious thoughts, but that's all we've done....thought about it. We'll probably act very soon. Yet, what would we look like if we acted too prematurely, however, what would we look like to our student body if we act to late...feels like Catch 22.!!??

You're right. You're caught between the rock and a hard spot. For what it's worth, I'll give my 2 cents. I offer it not because I think I'm exceptionally experienced or wise. Rather, because I know that a fresh perspective often helps to clear the mind and sharpen the soul.

This situation really comes down to loyalty. The question is this, to whom do you owe your loyalty and how do you acknowledge it?

Without question, your instructors and superiors at the Hombu helped you get to where you are. Certainly your Soke and his family have taught you much. You have trained for many years, learned valuable lessons about fighting, peace, and life. You've stained their floors with your sweat and blood. In turn, they've fostered you both professionally and personally. It's quite likely that you've shared much food and drink, many laughs and even heartaches together. You embarked together on a journey to understand and embrace the warrior spirit. Most assuredly, you owe them loyalty and respect.

How about your students? They, in turn, have chosen to bleed for you. They have chosen to laugh with you. They have chosen to follow your path. They sit at family dinner and speak of their amazing Sensei who can cut a man down with a single blow...or lift him with a single word. You and I both know that such stories are greatly exaggerated, but we can both remember telling such tales ourselves because we took such pride in our instructors and the path they walk. Most importantly, they have chosen to give you their loyalty. And in return, they too deserve your loyalty.

The clear choice is simple. You must honor both by demonstrating loyalty to both. The path of a warrior is a lonely one; but that doesn't mean you must be alone. Open your school. Welcome your student's back. Honor your teachers by passing on their art and always speaking of them with fondness. Should any of your students ever asks, "why did the San Dai-Soke leave," answer quickly and decisively..."The path of a warrior is, ultimately, a journey we must take on our own. He was simply following his path."

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
ps1 wrote:

You're right. You're caught between the rock and a hard spot. For what it's worth, I'll give my 2 cents. I offer it not because I think I'm exceptionally experienced or wise. Rather, because I know that a fresh perspective often helps to clear the mind and sharpen the soul.

This situation really comes down to loyalty. The question is this, to whom do you owe your loyalty and how do you acknowledge it?

Without question, your instructors and superiors at the Hombu helped you get to where you are. Certainly your Soke and his family have taught you much. You have trained for many years, learned valuable lessons about fighting, peace, and life. You've stained their floors with your sweat and blood. In turn, they've fostered you both professionally and personally. It's quite likely that you've shared much food and drink, many laughs and even heartaches together. You embarked together on a journey to understand and embrace the warrior spirit. Most assuredly, you owe them loyalty and respect.

How about your students? They, in turn, have chosen to bleed for you. They have chosen to laugh with you. They have chosen to follow your path. They sit at family dinner and speak of their amazing Sensei who can cut a man down with a single blow...or lift him with a single word. You and I both know that such stories are greatly exaggerated, but we can both remember telling such tales ourselves because we took such pride in our instructors and the path they walk. Most importantly, they have chosen to give you their loyalty. And in return, they too deserve your loyalty.

The clear choice is simple. You must honor both by demonstrating loyalty to both. The path of a warrior is a lonely one; but that doesn't mean you must be alone. Open your school. Welcome your student's back. Honor your teachers by passing on their art and always speaking of them with fondness. Should any of your students ever asks, "why did the San Dai-Soke leave," answer quickly and decisively..."The path of a warrior is, ultimately, a journey we must take on our own. He was simply following his path."

This is not only a solid post, but it's a powerful post across the board. With your permission, I'd like to share your words with my fellow Shindokanists in the hopes that your words will inspire them and comfort them.

I deeply bow to you!! Thank you so very much!!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you may share. I'm simply glad I could help you in your time of need.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our current Kaicho, Kancho, and Lead Counselor are flying out to Okinawa this Friday Night, and they'll stay for a week to find/locate our San Dai-Soke and discuss many things of great concern to our future.

So, I wish them safe flights and great success on the ground.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are things going with this Sensei?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: