Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave this a lot of thought, this is the personality as a reflection of our soul, without our social persona, we put on for show. Anything that you do has been created by you, and without you, nothing has been created, even the mimicking that we do as MAists is STILL a creation with you as its author.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting take, Bob. I like how you mention that even "mimicking" is still a creation from ourself.

Bruce Lee wrote:
pg. 10, paragraph 7: The artless art of the soul at peace, like moonlight mirrored in a deep lake. The ultimate aim of the artist is to use his daily activity to become a past master of life, and so lay hold of the art of the living. Masters in all branches of art must first be masters of living, for the soul creates everything.

Here we get the moon mirrored in the lake analogy. I do like it; the reflection in the lake brings something so far away so close to us, albeit in a different form. Even so, it's still majestic.

I'm interested in this idea of becoming a "past master of life." There sure is only one way to do that - LIVE! There are days when my existence seems meager, and there are days where I feel I've accomplished something. However, overall, every day I live, I become more of a "past master of life," for every experience teaches us something, even if it seems like a meager experience.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizu no kokoro...A calm mind like water and Tsuki no kokoro...Mind like the moon are maxims that cannot be separated. This is a very reality to many MAists, one that I've believed in for a very long time. This maxim awakens ones senses but cannot be alone because each of them are dependent of each other.

Bruce's quote has one underlying thought, and that is to “Master Life.” Once an individual masters life he/she can then begin mastering all things that life brings. Mastering life is the basis of the art of the soul.

Each individual person must master their life in their own way. The way you master your life may not be the same way I master my life. This is a lifelong process for some, and for others takes only a short amount of time. However, don’t fret for Bruce Lee has a starting point. That point is referenced in his next quote, of which I'm sure Brain will introduce shortly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Calm mind like water" I think I have a grasp of. "Mind like the moon" I'm not as sure on. What does it mean to have "a mind like the moon?" To glow at night, and still be visible in the daytime? To wax and wane? To hang above the world and see it from a different perspective? How would you elaborate on it?

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being like the moon is being like water. The moon isn't only reflected, on the water.

The moon sees the water and feels that it isn't alone. There is a push and pull between them. Light and power connect them.

The moon should feel it has a home in the water; touching the silver disk, or crescent, or shrouded ring, or brilliant penumbra on the water should bring you in contact with the moon itself, into contact with all water that reflects it, and with every reflection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: