Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

grenage
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Side-kick support leg rotation Reply with quote

I know that leg rotation comes up a lot; so forgive me.

I can kick with my right leg just fine - the support leg twists as it should. Unfortunately I am getting issues with the other leg; it feels like it's not twisting enough and it's causing me knee issues.

It's less of a problem when I kick low.

Whilst doing high leg swings as a warm-up in the gym I noticed that my right leg twists 90 degrees outward when swing my left leg in front. So now I suspect that something linking the legs is very tight and causing the issue.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I should be stretching to try and overcome the problem? Obviously I can shell out for a professional opinion if it comes to it, but I thought I'd ask around before doing so.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - stretch every day! If done properly, that can only help you with all of your martial arts training.

Second - I'd recommend exercising your kicks at home. Grab a chair, wall, or stair railing for balance and work on the motions slowly. Focus on the rotation.

*Lift and begin the rotation
*Extend the leg out while continuing the rotation
*Finish the extension at a comfortable level, and hold it for a couple seconds (increase the hold time as your strength improves)
*Rechamber the leg slowly, while returning your support foot to the normal position
*Repeat several times per session

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
First - stretch every day! If done properly, that can only help you with all of your martial arts training.

Second - I'd recommend exercising your kicks at home. Grab a chair, wall, or stair railing for balance and work on the motions slowly. Focus on the rotation.

*Lift and begin the rotation
*Extend the leg out while continuing the rotation
*Finish the extension at a comfortable level, and hold it for a couple seconds (increase the hold time as your strength improves)
*Rechamber the leg slowly, while returning your support foot to the normal position
*Repeat several times per session

Solid post!!

Only thing I'd add to singularity6 excellent post is to make sure that you DO NOT sacrifice form and posture whatsoever. If you notice that you are sacrificing form and posture, then you might becoming fatigued, and if so, well, take a break.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ah yes! Posture is important!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-pivot.

What I mean is, instead of twisting the support foot as you kick, turn your support foot to the position you want it to be in prior to executing the kick.

For example, if I do a right leg side kick, then I point my left foot with the heel towards the target before chambering the leg and kicking. This helps to ensure I'm in the proper position, and saves the knee a little bit of stress.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello grenage.

I use a cross over cable station

https://youtu.be/kN8N3da4FEU

If you don't have access to such a contraption then suggest to improvise till you do (using a pulley and rope)

As the knee is primarily a hinge joint twisting it isn't recommended, as there are many that over strain their knees to compensate what the ball joint in the hips are designed for.

By doing exercises that open the hips up, such as turnouts with which ballet dancers practice alot, also floor exercises such as the frog position can be helpful.

Hip alignment is important when kicking which many maists neglect to perfect.

Also focusing on exercises that strengthen the supporting leg and hip stacking are worth the time and effort to improve on.

The Chinese consider the knees to be like tofu, or in other words weak, if you master pistol squats, I am sure you will not have any more knee issues when kicking, just remember to keep your back as straight as possible when doing them, as not to not cause back pain or discomfort.

https://youtu.be/88VxdkBpiFE

https://youtu.be/wBJs0rX1dTU

https://youtu.be/pFC_d0tu9fk

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh, if possible, at what I'm about to suggest!! Here goes....

Are you right handed or left handed?? Often times, student tend to favor the dominant side across the board, no matter the techniques. They can pivot better with their left side than their right side because they're left handed due to their own comfort zone in doing everything with their left side...their mind becomes, and knows the left side in everything that they do in their left side dominate muscle memory.

I'm right handed, so I had to LEARN how to be ambidextrous in the MA. I always favored to use my right side because I was use to my right through my muscle memory. Through the MA I learned how to trust my left side, and this transitioned into my other activities. I can hit on both sides of the plate during baseball/softball games...I can place kick with both my left and right foot...I can bowl and shoot pool with either my left or right hand...I can use hammers and the like with either my left or right hand. All because I had to learn to be effective in my MA on both sides, and not just one.

Takes some time, as most things do, to getting use to, and then some more to become effective in the ambidextrous world.

If you're laughing still, then that's ok!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points sensei8.

It is funny sometimes when teaching or showing boxers techniques and forgetting that I am in South-Paw JKD strongest side forward LOL.

While they tell me that they fight in left side forwards Ooopppss!

Due to past injuries I think I do favour sides in doing techniques, instead of being ambidextrous as we should try to become over time.

In the forseeable future I see a personal focus week on ambidextrous techniques, thank you sensei8, for pointing out this concept but first this week has been aloted or dedicated towards doing core exercises, by which I'm not sure whether it will be possible to complete such a self imposed challenge, as last week was upper body and the week before was focused on legs, both were very worthwhile, demanding and exhausting.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile getting back on track, Micheal Jai White side kick explanation might be helpful to you grenage.

https://youtu.be/iKkh4rzinTs

rhilllakefield
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ishinryu Karate, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the chair to check form. I always do kicks slowly to check my form every once in a while.

My heel usually ends up pointing at my target during a side kick.

Look up some good hip flexor and glutei stretches, and keep an eye on your muscle balance early on in your training. It will help you down the road.

Kicking shouldn't hurt, unless you're really overdoing it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: