Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
If you’re a slim-fit kind of guy, look into Tokaido. They’re notoriously a narrow and long cut. At least the Japanese made Tokaidos are anyway. The quality is every bit as good as Shureido IMO. A little more expensive though, even when you go model to comparable model (look for a #11 material).

The only thing I’d change with my K-11 is the ties. I like the ties on your Pro Force gi a lot better. The Ronin gi I own has similar ties.

Taking the Shureido gi out of the bag for the first time gives a bit of buyer’s remorse. It doesn’t seem like it’s that special of a gi. The first few times you wear it aren’t anything special either. Once you’ve worn it several times you realize how good it really is. It’s very breathable, seems far lighter than it actually is, and it holds its shape very well. And it’s very soft and smooth feeling. IMO it’s a perfect gi.

But if it didn’t fit right, I’d hate it. I’d never wear it.

I didn't really have much buyers remorse taking it out of the bag. The quality was obviously very high and the cotton had a silky smooth feel to it. The gi was definitely breathable (although the $80 ProForce held its own against it quite well).

I'm just an extremely skinny guy. My legs only took up half of the pants sleeves so that's probably why they felt so uncomfortable. I'm honestly not sure if I want to bother with expensive gi's anymore because none of them seem to fit me right. I could get one tailored, but dealing with Shureido USA on the matter causes me a great deal of anxiety.

I could look into Tokaido, but I'd only buy one if I had the opportunity to try one on. Buying an expensive gi and returning/ selling due to it not fitting gets tiring after a while.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean about getting frustrated by gis (and any type of clothing) not fitting right. I got lucky with Shureido. An old dojo-mate ordered a Tokaido Ultimate back in the day. He went through returning about 3 of them before finding the right one. I had my eye on one too, so I tried them on before he returned them. No matter the size, none of them fit me. It was an instance where if it fit me I’d give him the money he paid for it.

After finding out Tokaido would never fit right, I blindly ordered a Shureido. Fortunately, it fit me perfectly. Since then when ordering a different gi, I always ask how it fits compared to Shureido. After getting one that fits like Shureido but not as good quality, I’ve given up on everything else. I have a Ronin heavyweight that used to fit great. Almost 3 years later, it’s still shrinking somehow. And I always wash it in cold water and hang dry it. It’s at the point that I can’t wear it anymore because the jacket has gotten so short that I constantly have to pull it down so it doesn’t come out from under my belt and the pants are like skinny jeans.

I wish there was a store where I could walk in and try on different gi brands and models after they’ve been fully shrunk. Kind of like a suit store where they’ve got racks of suits. Until then, we’re stuck with mail order and return shipping fees.

If you want to roll the dice one more time, Tokaido would probably fit your needs best IMO, going by my and others I know who wear them’s experience. I don’t know anyone wearing Hirota, so I’ve got no comment on them.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shureido will be them for free when you order. They have done it for me. Just give the measurements.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangepair03 wrote:
Shureido will be them for free when you order. They have done it for me. Just give the measurements.

Shureido USA has a tendency to twist a person's arm until it turns purple (at least from my experience). For whatever reason, they think their gi's shrink 6 inches length wise. I have never owned a gi that has shrunk that much.

I bought a K-10 from them with this in mind. Nuked it in hot water and turned the dryer on max multiple times. Only shrank 2 inches. I was incredibly heartbroken and frustrated and had to sell it on Ebay. It's possible it could've shrunk over the course of a decade, but I didn't want to wear a gi that didn't fit me for that long. This is why I haven't asked for a custom gi from them yet.

I did try to make my own custom measurements in metric for the Okinawa Shureido store. Filled out the form and was put on the waiting list. I cancelled the order two months later though because I was worried sick that it wouldn't fit me right.

I think the only way I'm going to get a Shureido gi is if I'm in Okinawa and the Naha store measures me.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling_Mudansha wrote:
strangepair03 wrote:

Shureido USA has a tendency to twist a person's arm until it turns purple (at least from my experience). For whatever reason, they think their gi's shrink 6 inches length wise. I have never owned a gi that has shrunk that much.

I bought a K-10 from them with this in mind. Nuked it in hot water and turned the dryer on max multiple times. Only shrank 2 inches. I was incredibly heartbroken and frustrated and had to sell it on Ebay. It's possible it could've shrunk over the course of a decade, but I didn't want to wear a gi that didn't fit me for that long. This is why I haven't asked for a custom gi from them yet.

I did try to make my own custom measurements in metric for the Okinawa

Shureido store. Filled out the form and was put on the waiting list. I cancelled the order two months later though because I was worried sick that it wouldn't fit me right.

I think the only way I'm going to get a Shureido gi is if I'm in Okinawa and the Naha store measures me.

I can't stand dealing with the USA store. I'm going back over in July if you like pm me when it's closer and I'll be happy to order it in person and bring it back home. Mail it to you from NJ.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not trying to discount your guys’ experience with Shureido USA, but I’ve never had any regrets dealing with them. I’ve only bought 2 K-11s and a KA-9 which I exchanged for my second K-11 from them, and spoke with them a few more times. They’ve always been great with me and their suggestions were always right on.

The sizing of the gi and how much it shrunk was pretty accurate. It’s a little bigger than they said it would be after shrinking, but nothing outside of an inch or so.

Maybe I’ve been lucky. All I know is I’ll keep doing business with them until my luck changes. If I wasn’t happy with them, I’d go elsewhere too. I’ve been burned by a place or two that a lot of others really liked, so it is what it is.

I’d love to start an MA supply store in my area. I’d have all the stuff in all the sizes and a seamstress (my aunt) come in periodically to do alterations. The market for this stuff being what it is, I’m quite sure I’d be closed rather quickly though. Unless I got into the whole online ordering end of it too. Now the wheels are turning. Anyone have any startup cash for me?

shuriway
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Shureido New Wave 3 Gi Reply with quote

After the issues I had with the Seishin Gi (in another post), I thought I would go back to trying a Shureido Gi again. My usual preference was the K10 or FA10 can't remember now. Anyway I contacted Shureido in Okinawa and was advised I should try the New Wave 3, as I sweat heavily. I had to have the pants shortened by them as they seemed excessively long on their size chart. I'm 5ft 10ins and 195lbs. Everything else seemed to be okay according to their chart. I had name embroidery too. I order a new black belt at the same time.

Order placed and now the wait. The wait. Oh and did I mention the wait?

Gi and belt eventually arrived and now time to try it on. First impressions are that the material is quite stiff and with the usual blue tint to the white. The embroidery on the jacket is nice but the white stitching of the six stitched area goes over the black of the katakana. I don't like that idea very much. The cuffs and pants have eight rows of stitching.

On it goes and holy moly the size is crazy.

Length of the pants are great as I asked for adjustment. But the width. Damn I look like a circus clown. Really baggy around the legs and butt. Whose legs are they designed for? A body builder I think. I could probably fit two of me in there.

The jacket is really long, almost to my knees. I will get used to this I guess. I prefer longer sleeves and they go right to my wrists. Again probably a little too long if I'm honest. The shoulders are wide, which is nice as I have quite broad shoulders and it has what seems like a soft cotton extra inner for sweat absorption around the shoulder area. I need this as I sweat like a pig. So a nice addition. We shall see how this works. The jacket is quite narrow though. I'm not fat by any means but if you have a large stomach this will be quite tight when the cords are done up. I know you can adjust the jacket of course but it still feels narrow compared to the length.

The length of the jacket is probably comparable with the Seishin I have, maybe even slightly longer.

So not overly impressed so far. Nothing like the previous FA10 or K10 I ordered years ago, which was really soft.

I decided to wash it before heading to the dojo. Washed in cold water, no softener and air dried. It came out stiffer than it went in. Like cardboard. Horrible to be honest. Tried it on again and very little shrinkage if any. So I decided to wash it again adding a little softener this time and upped the temperature a little. Air dried in a tumble dryer this time with no heat.

Same results. Stiff as a board, little to no shrinkage with minimal creases. Okay. At least one good thing, less ironing. The blue tint has lessened too.

But damn is it stiff. Okay, it needs to be worn in the dojo now.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a die-hard Shureido heavyweight gi guy till I tried the lightweight gi. I love it! I will only but them from now on (only heavyweight i have is a black one because they only offer it in that weight) It feels Just as durable as the heavy one but so much lighter, softer and breathable. If you get them direct they are very affordable. I am a big guy and get them custom made and my name embroidered on the pants, the lower jacket lapel and Isshin-Ryu on the chest and it was around $120.00

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangepair03 wrote:
I was a die-hard Shureido heavyweight gi guy till I tried the lightweight gi. I love it! I will only but them from now on (only heavyweight i have is a black one because they only offer it in that weight) It feels Just as durable as the heavy one but so much lighter, softer and breathable. If you get them direct they are very affordable. I am a big guy and get them custom made and my name embroidered on the pants, the lower jacket lapel and Isshin-Ryu on the chest and it was around $120.00

Is the lightweight gi you’re referring to the KA-9? I ordered one and tried it on. It was too light for my taste. It was an excellent gi, but for the $140 or so I paid (with shipping), I thought the K-11 was significantly better for a little more money.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
strangepair03 wrote:

Is the lightweight gi you’re referring to the KA-9? I ordered one and tried it on. It was too light for my taste. It was an excellent gi, but for the $140 or so I paid (with shipping), I thought the K-11 was significantly better for a little more money.

I know what you mean, but having worn one for a few months w when I put on a heavyweight you can really feel the difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: