Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Scythe martial arts... Reply with quote

It looks cool and in fiction, a halberd has a scythe blade which makes it formidable. Curios to know if this is something a person practicing martial arts likes to learn?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEMA does! Paulus Hector Mair wrote a treatise on how to use the sycthe in combat. Check out this Wiktenauer page for the details. As far as history goes, scythes were typically used as weapons in peasant uprisings. The English used it in 1684, when a Duke fielded roughly 5000 peasants in the Battle of Sedgemoor. In 1784 again peasants used them in the Revolt of Horea in Transylvania.

In general, as you might guess, scythes were weapons used by peasants and anyone who couldn't afford weapons that we might typically see on a battlefield from the Medieval period onward. As such, Paulus is a weird exception to the rule that most fighting manuscripts dealt with weapons that one might see in a tournament of arms.

Aside from this, you would have to look at the kama for Eastern Martial Arts. I'm not aware, nor could I find, any information that suggests that Eastern Martial Arts cares about the two handed scythe. Furthermore, I couldn't find any information on a system that currently practices with it a lot. Even within HEMA you would struggle to find someone who is using a sycthe, it's a hard weapon to manufacture a safe, trainer version of.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ole Paulus! Great resource!

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fantasy scythe isn’t a real weapon.
I agree it’s cool but not really a weapon, outside of militias suddenly mustering with farming tools as weapons

ryanryu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome link! I'm going to pretend there was some Seven Samurai like action going on in Europe where a wandering weapons master spent days training village farmers in proper scythe form to defend against marauders.

For the East/West difference - how widely used were two-handled scythes in Asia to begin with? I had thought the kama was designed specifically to harvest rice whereas the scythe is more suited to wheat & grass - different climates led to different crops led to different tools...

It looks like there are a lot variations on the spear (yari) in Japanese - for example the kama-yari is a spear with a side hook:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama-yari

I'm sure there are weapons traditions for these long weapons across the world, but not something I've come across personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: