Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Replacing embroidery Reply with quote

Has anyone ever unstitched an embroidered logo (like a school logo) and removed it from their dogi?

I have a 12oz dogi and I'd like to remove a school logo and have a different one embroidered in it's place.
It's a nice Hirota gi so I'd hate to spoil it by sewing an ugly patch over the old logo.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!! Afterwards, I could still see the outline quite well for quite some time!! Even our SKKA patch wasn't big enough to completely cover the area where the embroidery was, no matter how I washed the top or how many times I washed my top. Tried ironing it out, but that didn't help at all.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I agree with Sensei8. If it's been in there for any amount of time it will still show.

I wanted to try out a new art and joined but did not want to buy a new Gi so I used one of my older gi's and removed the embroidery. These are the things I noticed.

1. it would be better to have a professional do this but it's not exactly cheap. The reason I say this is I ended up snagging the uniform a few times. Where there was tension around the edges you could see where the material was separated due to the stitching.

2. as Sensei8 said, no matter how many times I washed it or ironed it it still was there under the new embroidery.

3. it just looked bad.

I ended up just buying a patch and covering it. Not the best look but it worked. Unfortunately I only trained in that art for two years. I attempted to have it re-embroidered and it looked terrible. The top went into the trash, I was out the money and had to buy a new top and pay for the embroidery again.

I would recommend you just purchase a new 12 oz Gi top and have the new embroidery put on it and save your existing one as is.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents. As tempting as it is to try and reuse it I'll admit defeat.

In fact, if I ever decide to start my own school I'll resolve to forego badges and school logos from dogi.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushybees wrote:
Thank you gents. As tempting as it is to try and reuse it I'll admit defeat.

In fact, if I ever decide to start my own school I'll resolve to forego badges and school logos from dogi.

Yeah, but the patches and embroidery might make people stay longer to avoid getting a new gi

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing embroidery Reply with quote

mushybees wrote:
Has anyone ever unstitched an embroidered logo (like a school logo) and removed it from their dogi?

I have a 12oz dogi and I'd like to remove a school logo and have a different one embroidered in it's place.
It's a nice Hirota gi so I'd hate to spoil it by sewing an ugly patch over the old logo.

I've had to do this recently and it's just not worth the time or hassle especially if it's a larger, more complicated piece of embroidery. In the end I just paid for someone to embroider a load of patches to sew over the top.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: