Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Personal Training Reply with quote

I finally decided to look for a personal trainer to help me with a few issues I have and which I feel I will not be able to overcome through my regular Kyokushin training alone. Mostly problems with generating power in my punches and kicks and generally some upper body strength issues (I still can't do decent push-ups if my life depends on it ... I meddle through somehow, but it just feels awful).

So I contacted two different personal trainers who both have a kickboxing background and booked trial lessons. One is today, the other one tomorrow. I am really excited about this. And a little nervous. It is something that I had thought about doing ever since getting back into martial arts (and even before that when I was doing strength training at the gym), but never really built up the courage to actually do.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capella, awesome! Strength and conditioning training is crucial to supplement your martial arts experience.

Good luck and good training!

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Both trial sessions done. Two very different trainers with very different approaches, even though they both come from a kickboxing/Muay Thai background. The first one is also a physio therapist and very much has a "power comes from core strength and stability" approach. He also spend a lot of time analyzing little flaws and weaknesses in my chain of motion. I got the feeling that he really knows what he is talking about and the exercises were creative and fun. The hour challenged me, but more on a coordination and static strength level. More like a pilates class with some weights added in.

The guy I saw today trains in a fight gym and uses more of a "learning by doing" approach, so we did a lot of padwork and some work on the heavy bag, followed by some (assisted) pull ups, inclined push ups and squats. Over all it was a way more exhausting workout. The trainer seemed quite pleased with my starting level, which was nice, because I guess it means my kicks and punches don't suck as badly as I think they do.

I am aware that from a long term health perspective the physio guy would probably be the way to go, but that stuff just does not motivate me enough. He is also a bit more expensive and only offers a subscription like rate for a minimum of three months which automatically prolongs for another three months if you don't cancel it in time. I'm really not that crazy about that.

The fighting gym guy is way more flexible. He offers individual lessons and then packages of ten or twenty lessons at a reduced rate. That suits my idea of how I want to do this way more, so I guess I will just invest in 10 lessons with him and then see where I stand. The long term goal is to get fit and confident enough to do Muay Thai lessons on top of the Kyokushin ones, something which I could theoretically do for free even now, since the club where I do Kyokushin also offers Muay Thai twice a week. It is more that at the moment I don't have the energy to train four nights a week.

Speaking of energy, just when I came home after the session today, pretty much dead on my feet, I got a What's App message that we do have an extra Kyokushin training tonight. Great. I don't think I can lift my arms anymore.

MAD Mike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Yondan Concentration, Yuk dan, or Pal dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I am approaching fitness again myself.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capella wrote:
Okay. Both trial sessions done. Two very different trainers with very different approaches, even though they both come from a kickboxing/Muay Thai background. The first one is also a physio therapist and very much has a "power comes from core strength and stability" approach. He also spend a lot of time analyzing little flaws and weaknesses in my chain of motion. I got the feeling that he really knows what he is talking about and the exercises were creative and fun. The hour challenged me, but more on a coordination and static strength level. More like a pilates class with some weights added in.

The guy I saw today trains in a fight gym and uses more of a "learning by doing" approach, so we did a lot of padwork and some work on the heavy bag, followed by some (assisted) pull ups, inclined push ups and squats. Over all it was a way more exhausting workout. The trainer seemed quite pleased with my starting level, which was nice, because I guess it means my kicks and punches don't suck as badly as I think they do.

I am aware that from a long term health perspective the physio guy would probably be the way to go, but that stuff just does not motivate me enough. He is also a bit more expensive and only offers a subscription like rate for a minimum of three months which automatically prolongs for another three months if you don't cancel it in time. I'm really not that crazy about that.

The fighting gym guy is way more flexible. He offers individual lessons and then packages of ten or twenty lessons at a reduced rate. That suits my idea of how I want to do this way more, so I guess I will just invest in 10 lessons with him and then see where I stand. The long term goal is to get fit and confident enough to do Muay Thai lessons on top of the Kyokushin ones, something which I could theoretically do for free even now, since the club where I do Kyokushin also offers Muay Thai twice a week. It is more that at the moment I don't have the energy to train four nights a week.

Speaking of energy, just when I came home after the session today, pretty much dead on my feet, I got a What's App message that we do have an extra Kyokushin training tonight. Great. I don't think I can lift my arms anymore.

Sounds great. Though over time I've come to the mindset that workouts don't always have to be physically exhausting to be beneficial. I'd have probably preferred the first trainer myself but then I spend a lot of time with my guys doing muscle activation and stability and mobility exercises. Sounds the the fight gym guy is going to work you hard though which is also good if you want to improve general fitness and strength. Best of luck

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Capella wrote:

Sounds great. Though over time I've come to the mindset that workouts don't always have to be physically exhausting to be beneficial. I'd have probably preferred the first trainer myself but then I spend a lot of time with my guys doing muscle activation and stability and mobility exercises. Sounds the the fight gym guy is going to work you hard though which is also good if you want to improve general fitness and strength. Best of luck

Solid posts, both.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

You are right, of course. But at the moment I am really enjoying the grind and the feeling that I can make it even through exhausting workouts. I have never been much of an athlete, in fact, I always felt totally incompetent and whimpy in all things sport. Being able to tough it out and getting through a hard workout is giving me a massive confidence boost at the moment. I think that's why I am enjoying the more energetic and exhausting workouts more. When Mischa (that's the trainer's name) tells me what he wants me to do, my first reflex is to say: I can't possibly do that. And then I get to it and find out: Yes, I can. I might need a little break in between, but if I really set my mind to it, I can do it. And that feels so good. It is also what makes me enjoy Kyokushin so much, even though I am not an overly aggressive person and never thought about myself as a fighter. But mentally Kyokushin is the Cross-Fit of the martial arts world. It is not so much about being the best or about perfect technique or about looking good. It is about giving it your everything an then some, even if you feel like you can't lift your arms anymore.

So yeah, I am aware that I am probably chasing the adrenalin in endorphin rush more than the most efficient and beneficial healthy gains.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal Training Reply with quote

Capella wrote:
I finally decided to look for a personal trainer to help me with a few issues I have and which I feel I will not be able to overcome through my regular Kyokushin training alone. Mostly problems with generating power in my punches and kicks and generally some upper body strength issues (I still can't do decent push-ups if my life depends on it ... I meddle through somehow, but it just feels awful).

So I contacted two different personal trainers who both have a kickboxing background and booked trial lessons. One is today, the other one tomorrow. I am really excited about this. And a little nervous. It is something that I had thought about doing ever since getting back into martial arts (and even before that when I was doing strength training at the gym), but never really built up the courage to actually do.

Hi Capella, how your needs are being attended to.

My approach to issues us to focus on them like a challenge. For instance if push ups are a weakness then to understand every thing about them on the hows, whys and benefits.

Same holds true for generating power with puches and kicks.

Doing the homework and research on subject's gives a good understanding of what and how to improve the issues that needs addressing.

In cardio rehabilitation 10 years ago the best I could do for push ups was standing up against a wall and started from the very basic level, from their working my way up till eventually now at an advanced level.

Giving oneself the right amount of time to achieve goals, as baby steps, little by little and will reach one's own expectations and perhaps beyond.

Mini habits is a way of thinking and doing that instead of taking big leaps, use little but more often, this way their will always be time to practice instead of making goals too big and difficult to achieve.

Where having small workouts it is easier to do them and once going to extend them for longer than the opposite of missing workouts because they are too long, strenuous and time consuming.

IMHO

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Capella!

Here is an example of the focusing and research, that hopefully is helpful towards your journey.

https://www.karateforums.com/push-up-variety-quality-quantity-challenge-for-a-week-vt52745.html

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

thanks for the link, what an amazing collection of push-up resources.

And you are right about the baby steps, of course. It is just tough to keep that in mind when you are constantly training with guys who are a lot stronger. Especially since push-ups are often thrown in casually, like as a discipline measure. I have no chance of doing them in proper form in the tempo that they are counted out, not even on my knees, and I hate shrugging out half-a**ed ones. It usually is a stark reminder just how much stronger than me everyone else in the class is.

I am slowly getting better at it though, and the personal training sessions are a great help, not only physically, but also mentally. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: