Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Old Belts Reply with quote

I have the belt for every rank I have ever held in my entire life, but I also have a number of white belts that came with the Gi that I have never worn. Is there a way to recycle or donate these white belts that I will never use? Is dropping them off at a Goodwill or other donation store even worth it? Do they use them or just throw them out? Anyone know?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for organizations that accept textile donations, such as Goodwill or the Salvation Army. These organizations can repurpose the material or sell it to raise funds for their programs.

New students are always losing or misplacing their white belts. I used to keep the white belt that came with the gi I've just sold to a student that had no need for the white belt as spares for just that purpose for a student who has found themselves without their white belt. Happens more than I care to remember.

Donating any belt, not just white belts, to a dojo or school that may need them for new students or as spares. Donating can be a great way to give back to the MA community. It can also be a way to inspire and motivate new students who may not have the means to purchase their belts.

Donate to someone who's quite crafty with a sewing machine and scissors to makes things out of MA belts, like, key chains, for example, that can be sold at either their store and/or swap meets or wherever they might.

Someone's trash is another man's treasure.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Old Belts Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
I have the belt for every rank I have ever held in my entire life, but I also have a number of white belts that came with the Gi that I have never worn. Is there a way to recycle or donate these white belts that I will never use? Is dropping them off at a Goodwill or other donation store even worth it? Do they use them or just throw them out? Anyone know?

Dye them. Get a plastic bucket at the dollar store, pick a color you often test for (yellow, blue, green), dye them then hang them somewhere to dry (outside is better so it doesn't drip on your floor). Give them away to students that test. Costs you little, makes students happy. Don't put them in the dryer or they'll shrink.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Belts Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

Dye them. Get a plastic bucket at the dollar store, pick a color you often test for (yellow, blue, green), dye them then hang them somewhere to dry (outside is better so it doesn't drip on your floor). Give them away to students that test. Costs you little, makes students happy. Don't put them in the dryer or they'll shrink.

I had not considered this. Hmmmm. Might be an idea to run with.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Belts Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
Montana wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

That's a great idea, Montana!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Belts Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
KarateKen wrote:
Montana wrote:
KarateKen wrote:

That's a great idea, Montana!

Yes, great idea, Montana.

I tried to do that once, but I really suck at dying anything; the belts looked like what Kool-Aid looks like when there's too much water...weak, I could never get the belt color look solid like belts are supposed to.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an old uniform? I have not trained TKD in over 15 years, but I still have my old doboks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone might use an old uniform for cosplay, Halloween, costume or to donate. I've used my old, and new, uniform for just relaxing around the house, with at least the bottoms because they're very comfortable.

Old belts can be recycled in such a wide variety of uses than the uniform. But of course, I've not much of a vivid imagination with what to do with an old uniform.

opr1945
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a senior member at my Dojo. He said when he started he was given a white belt. when he was promoter to yellow he was told to buy some dye and dye it yellow.

When he was promoter to green he was told to buy some green dyr dnd dye the same belt green. When he was promoted to brown he was told to dye the belt brown. The school only has 3 colors between white and black. This was in the 1970's.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Someone might use an old uniform for cosplay, Halloween, costume or to donate. I've used my old, and new, uniform for just relaxing around the house, with at least the bottoms because they're very comfortable.

Old belts can be recycled in such a wide variety of uses than the uniform. But of course, I've not much of a vivid imagination with what to do with an old uniform.

I think I am going to donate them to Goodwill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: