Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Just needs an honorable mention, the mouthpiece.

Probably the best little piece of equipment that you will buy.

Not only will it save you on visits to the dentist, it will help when landing heavy blows, when gritting the teeth together is necessary.

Could help you to not get knocked out, as the jaw becomes alot stronger when wearing one.

Might be handy to have one on you when having a night out on the town, as it is light and very useful to have, if unexpectedly caught in a violent situation.

There is a psychological point to wearing a mouthpiece, as that you are ready for business are they?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...
I was just picturing two guys getting ready to throw fists in a bar, and one says “hang on a minute” and pulls a mouthpiece out of his pocket. Quite sure that would get a few laughs from the crowd.

But yes, mouthpieces are good. I’m going to ask my dentist what he recommends when I see him in a few weeks. I’m guessing he’ll advise some $500 custom thing, but you never know.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Sorry...
I was just picturing two guys getting ready to throw fists in a bar, and one says “hang on a minute” and pulls a mouthpiece out of his pocket. Quite sure that would get a few laughs from the crowd.

But yes, mouthpieces are good. I’m going to ask my dentist what he recommends when I see him in a few weeks. I’m guessing he’ll advise some $500 custom thing, but you never know.
Sorry..
Then perhaps the other fella says "No you hang on a minute" as he pulls out his false teeth dentures and puts them in his pocket.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had those rare students that couldn't wear a mouthpiece. Not that there was anything wrong with the mouthpieces, it's just that in their minds, the mouthpiece caused them to feel that they were being choked.

Told them, one and all, no mouthpiece, no Kumite of any type!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've had those rare students that couldn't wear a mouthpiece. Not that there was anything wrong with the mouthpieces, it's just that in their minds, the mouthpiece caused them to feel that they were being choked.

Told them, one and all, no mouthpiece, no Kumite of any type!!

Mouthguards aren't all created equal and with the cheaper "boil and bite" mouthguards you're more likely to gag and choke on them. If you can spare the cash, a custom mouthguard is worth it.

A good mouthguard is the best piece of equipment you can invest it. Not only will it protect your teeth, it reduces the likelihood of concussion too.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a teen/young adult, I trained for a dozen years with a mouthpiece as an afterthought. I didn't care that one mouthpiece wasn't good enough to keep a kick from ruining my orthodontic work. I eventually got a dentist-made mouthpiece. They're worth every penny. I've had several over the last 20 years & never regretted the expense. Whether stand-up or grappling Art, you want to protect your teeth and gums.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
As a teen/young adult, I trained for a dozen years with a mouthpiece as an afterthought. I didn't care that one mouthpiece wasn't good enough to keep a kick from ruining my orthodontic work. I eventually got a dentist-made mouthpiece. They're worth every penny. I've had several over the last 20 years & never regretted the expense. Whether stand-up or grappling Art, you want to protect your teeth and gums.

I just got a custom made one from my dentist too. After getting a hook kick in the jaw, and not hard at all, I realized my boil and bite mouth guards weren’t cutting it. I felt my back teeth hit an rub against each other. Not a good feeling, but it could’ve been so much worse if she actually put some power into it instead of pulling it back.

The custom made one covers all of my teeth (top teeth) and it feels like it’s held on by a vacuum. I literally have to pull it off vs just opening my mouth and letting it fall off. $100 for that mouthpiece vs $35 for a store bought one was well worth it.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah fooey, who needs teeth?

That and it saves on tooth paste!

Just think of all the cash you'll save.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious note the mouth piece is an important piece of equipment for training.

I have a custom mouth guard from my dentist. Much better than the boil and mold type and it stays in when you open your mouth. Keeps my teeth where they are supposed to be, in my mouth.

Nothing worse than calling time out to pick your teeth off the floor.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
Sorry...

Sorry..
Then perhaps the other fella says "No you hang on a minute" as he pulls out his false teeth dentures and puts them in his pocket.

The ultimate fight, Martial Artist vs. Hockey player.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: