Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Meaning of Life Reply with quote

What is the meaning of life?

Let's discuss it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the billion-dollar question of which I'm more than sure that will vary greatly. The meaning of life is understood according to the beliefs that people adhere to.

Why are we here? Do we serve a greater purpose beyond the pleasure or satisfaction we get from our daily activities, however mundane or heroic they may be? Is the meaning of life internal to life, to be found inherently in life’s many activities, or is it external, to be found in a realm somehow outside of life, but to which life leads?

What is the meaning of life? The meaning of life is connecting with the purpose, and for that purpose to guide us into development and service. We have this intrinsic, burning desire to know what we are made to do, but before can get on board with developing into that, we need to understand why we are here.

There are any number of subjective answers to this question. I'm sure that whatever our belief system is, so is that which drives our answer to this answer.

What's the meaning of life?? The summation of 'Why' is to the summation of 'Because'. The meaning of life is not being dead. There's no meaning of life, we simply exist.

Interesting question, as its answers, for sure!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is. People are born, they live, and they die.

I think the goal is to make sure you feel like your existence is meaningful, and you are positive in that aspect. Do what you can, be good, be helpful, give back, etc.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

I think the goal is to make sure you feel like your existence is meaningful, and you are positive in that aspect. Do what you can, be good, be helpful, give back, etc.

Solid post!!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Very succinctly put! Would agree it distils things down though once you go up a layer then the complexities and difficulties crop up (different peoples ideas of what is good etc.) though that opens up a whole other can of worms!

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Very succinctly put! Would agree it distils things down though once you go up a layer then the complexities and difficulties crop up (different peoples ideas of what is good etc.) though that opens up a whole other can of worms!

It definitely does. One person's idea of good is the next person's idea of sin.

Going back to bushido's point, I agree that we want to find meaning and many humans spend years of their lives searching for that without getting satisfying answers.

Some would argue that there is no universal meaning to life and that it is up to the individual to decide what matter to them and live based on those values. This idea seems to make sense to me, the meaning of life is whatever we make it out to be, but it also feels a little too open ended.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
Going back to bushido's point, I agree that we want to find meaning and many humans spend years of their lives searching for that without getting satisfying answers.

Some would argue that there is no universal meaning to life and that it is up to the individual to decide what matter to them and live based on those values. This idea seems to make sense to me, the meaning of life is whatever we make it out to be, but it also feels a little too open ended.

I would certainly argue this point. The meaning of life is to live it. Good, bad, or somewhere in the middle, it is our life to lead. We can focus on the bad or we can uplift the good. In searching for the meaning of life, we often lose the plot of it all. We focus so much on the future that we forget to enjoy the now and it sours our memories of the past. There is no one answer. For Tesla, the meaning of life might have been to invent the things he invented. Perhaps Davinci felt that the meaning of life was in his paintings. For me, the meaning of my life is not in either of those. It's in my family, my writings, my martial arts, the world around me paints the picture and I get a chance to be one of the artists.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's ok for it to be an open-ended question. The answer today likely won't be the same answer tomorrow. Best to be flexible.

"Be water, my friend!"

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think it's ok for it to be an open-ended question. The answer today likely won't be the same answer tomorrow. Best to be flexible.

"Be water, my friend!"

Well said, my friend!!

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the meaning of life to find happiness?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: