Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Learning to Fall Reply with quote

On Christmas Day I slipped on some ice, fell down a couple stairs, and landed hard on some cement. Thankfully I did not hit my head though I did break a rib and damage some back muscles. I am not sure if I used it or not, but the training I have had in class about how to fall correctly might have saved me from a head injury. It all happened fast, and my feet went right out from under me. It was definitely painful, but it could have been so much worse. I don't expect any long-term problems but if I had hit my head, it could have happened for sure. So learning to fall has maybe been the closest thing to a lifesaving technique I have used from my training.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought of learning how to fall as a foundational life skill. It's one reason that i had my son start judo as soon as he turned 4 (the minimum age here). I had always said he would start judo or gymnastics to learn to fall safely. His younger sister is 4 in May and she will be doing the same! Even if they don't enjoy it and don't stay with it for the longer term, the ability to fall safely will stand them in good stead all their life i think

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago, my wife and I were visiting her brother in Aspen - the first year they had moved there. The sidewalks were iced over, and I had a big box of stuff in my hands (we were unloading the car at the time). All of a sudden, my feet slipped out from under me and I went from vertical to horizontal in an instant.

The one thing I remembered that saved my life -- tuck the chin to the chest and HOLD IT THERE. I ended up landing flat on my back -- scared the bejeezus out of my wife. However, aside from a sore neck, I was fine. If I hadn't been trained on how to fall properly, I would've most likely bounced my head off the concrete and had a much worse outcome. So yeah, learning how to fall is the most important lesson I've ever learned from my martial arts training.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!

Sorry to hear about that hard fall, KarateKen. Sounds like the farthest thing from fun. Are you feeling better now??

Learning how to fall is important, however learning how to fall in the dojo kind of prepares one but sometimes the unexpected fall in the manner of which you took all one can do is protect yourself to the best of one's ability, especially one's head.

Learning how to fall in the dojo is more directed towards how to fall during a fight. Even then, cover one's head and try to land as flat as best as on can do so that the impact is distributed across a larger area of the body.

When a surprised fall happens, try not to brace the fall with your outstretched arm(s) because your run the high risk of seriously injuring your wrist. Unfortunately, that's exactly what the majority people do when they fall.

Things surrounding one's topography that one can fall upon are the worse because that stair or that big pointed rock or that nasty concrete, to mention just a few, won't feel a darn thing, it's you that will feel everything. Sometimes, all one can do is to try their very best to limit their injuries in any given fall.

What we can learn about how to take a fall properly in the dojo is a great starting point. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not a movie stunt person that can fall down a flight of stairs unscathed or whatever else with the greatest of ease. Even the stunt person trains hours upon hours for their craft, as we do for our craft, and if the fall training in the dojo is all we have, then bu George, that's something to carry in our muscle memory for when an unexpected fall happens.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is much more likely to have to know how to fall properly in their life than they are likely to have to actually defend themselves.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
One is much more likely to have to know how to fall properly in their life than they are likely to have to actually defend themselves.

this times 1million!! It is a fundamental life skill i think

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
OUCH!!

Sorry to hear about that hard fall, KarateKen. Sounds like the farthest thing from fun. Are you feeling better now??

Yep. Thanks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
OUCH!!

Yep. Thanks.

Great to hear, KarateKen!!

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
KarateKen wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
OUCH!!

Yep. Thanks.

I mean, it could be worse. My name could be Michael Bolton.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
KarateKen wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
OUCH!!

Yep. Thanks.

I mean, it could be worse. My name could be Michael Bolton.

I actually know a guy who does karate whose name is Michael Bolton.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: