Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

jammy dodgers
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: freestyle and laugar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: kickboxing Reply with quote

i would like to get better at semi contact kickboxing...does anyone have any tips how to train alone? how much training should i do to get reall good thanks

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: kickboxing Reply with quote

jammy dodgers wrote:
i would like to get better at semi contact kickboxing...does anyone have any tips how to train alone? how much training should i do to get reall good thanks

First of all, welcome to KF!! Glad you're here!!

>Do you do any sparring at all? If you do, then don't ever stop. If you don't, then start sparring more often.

>Having said that, spar different practitioners because they don't attack/counter/defend the same.

>By yourself, hit the heavy bag often until it breaks, then buy another one, and beat it until it breaks, and then.....

>Work on different weighted bags. I'd encourage you to get a Thai bag because they're long and dense, and this will translate into powerful kicks. Of course, do the techniques correct, to begin with!!

>Work with a two-ended bag for timing, it'll pay for itself in the long run. Timing is crucial in all MA, but I suppose even more so in kickboxing.

>Run or swim a lot to build up your stamina. Change up the topography while running; up hill and things like that.

>Use a speed bag; speaks for itself, imho!!

>Mount a rope from one wall to another and walk its length while throwing upper-cuts, but stay tight to the rope while bobbing and weaving.

>Skip rope; a cheap yet valuable tool. Timing/rhythm can be garnered from this.

Hopefully what I've posted helps you with your solo training.

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree with Sensei8. That's all the advice you need! Just fit that into a schedule that works for you and train hard!

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: kickboxing Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
jammy dodgers wrote:

First of all, welcome to KF!! Glad you're here!!

>Do you do any sparring at all? If you do, then don't ever stop. If you don't, then start sparring more often.

>Having said that, spar different practitioners because they don't attack/counter/defend the same.

>By yourself, hit the heavy bag often until it breaks, then buy another one, and beat it until it breaks, and then.....

>Work on different weighted bags. I'd encourage you to get a Thai bag because they're long and dense, and this will translate into powerful kicks. Of course, do the techniques correct, to begin with!!

>Work with a two-ended bag for timing, it'll pay for itself in the long run. Timing is crucial in all MA, but I suppose even more so in kickboxing.

>Run or swim a lot to build up your stamina. Change up the topography while running; up hill and things like that.

>Use a speed bag; speaks for itself, imho!!

>Mount a rope from one wall to another and walk its length while throwing upper-cuts, but stay tight to the rope while bobbing and weaving.

>Skip rope; a cheap yet valuable tool. Timing/rhythm can be garnered from this.

Hopefully what I've posted helps you with your solo training.

Amazing post !!! *** standing ovation ***

TheGrim123321
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: (Kata Sei Do Karate [Kyokushin/MMA]) (Kung Fu [Shaolin/Wing Chun])

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8 has amazed us again with a his wisdom. I bow to you. OSU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: