Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Jack Slack's Ringcraft Reply with quote

Has anyone watched Jack Slack's Ringcraft series?

Episode 1 is about the importance of the stance:

https://youtu.be/aDKJSROvgMA

Do you agree with the points made? Does it mirror what you do in your style?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stance is definitely important.

Our style tends to use fairly deep, linear stances for forms and for many of our basic techniques. In my opinion, it makes the forms look good, gives us a nice solid base, and really works the legs. When sparring, our fighting stance is a bit more natural.

I visited my friend's school, and their front/back stances are not as deep. Their back stance is also a offset a bit (to allow for one to pull their front foot back faster, if needed.)

As the narrator pointed out, each stance has its own strengths and weaknesses - they're 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've ever watched that series; thanks for sharing it, Danielle!!

That video served up some solid points on the subject. Shindokan stances are more upright. This allows us to move around more easier, and for us, close range is everything for us...the closer the better.

A proper stance is a point that can't be swept under the rug of confusion because the stance is everything!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A particular stance (any stance) is less important than understanding how the stance is utilized in terms of mobilization and maximizing power.

Too many get fixated on the stance as seen in some fighting styles and this works against them. Understanding the stance and how to utilize it when flowing from one to the next movement (essentially forward, backward, side to side movement and circular) is key to be able to maximize power through balance, rooted structure and body mechanics.

Learning the stance and the techniques/applications associated with the stance is important but to get hung up on, "this is the only way to fight" or "you must be in this stance to deliver this technique", is missing the point.

Like Sensei8 our stances are natural (up right, flow, balanced, speed and quick maneuverability) and as Sensei8 states, close range versus long range is highlighted in our training. Having said this our training and the importance placed on stances might differ from more modern arts in terms of intended purpose and it's uses and benefits.

Too many associate linear movement with stances because of the way they are taught or taught as a specific goal (i.e. shortest distance a to b, in line). All too often circular movements are dismissed when too much importance on proper stances is given because it is taught in a line. It leads the student to move in a very linear orientation. This puts the student/practitioner in a force on force scenario instead of taking ones self out of the direct force and countering with little opposing force.

Example would be that most would consider backwards movement to be week but if utilizing stances as they are taught one can maximize on any movement. Stepping back in a forward stance to make distance (I know sounds off but stay with me), then as the opponent moves towards you you move your left foot out into a horse stance and quickly transition to a cat stance (right foot forward), you are now outside of the opponents path and to their side able to strike un-opposed by force or strength. This is very basic and I used generic terms for those that are just learning but it makes the point that to concentrate on a particular stance is missing the intended purpose of the stances. They are transitions from one to the next in order to teach the student how to move and be ready to utilize any technique while in movement. If you analyze the Kata you will see this very point.

It's ok to practice a stance and its techniques/applications to learn how to maximize your power and learn proper balance and rooting but to know how to transition from one to the next in a fluid way, basically mobility from one point to the next, either straight or circular, is much more important than a singular stance or the understanding of a singular stance.

Just my 2 cents for what that's worth.

Bob, this is obviously not describing your art or you. However after reading this before posting it certainly reads that way. Just making a clarification so this does not come off as opposing your point of view or your post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I've never seen this until now. That was quite an interesting video, and I loved his discussions. Footwork is so important!

Great channel, Danielle. I've subscribed.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I can't believe I've never seen this until now. That was quite an interesting video, and I loved his discussions. Footwork is so important!

Great channel, Danielle. I've subscribed.

You've just reminded me of it, am rewatching now

Wamp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ashihara Karate, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: