Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Is my leg formation for this roundhouse kick correct? Reply with quote

I think it is but I want to double check. I have been told when I kick higher targets that my leg formation is that of a side kick, even though my foot formation is a roundhouse kick.

Problem is I don't know what the difference in leg mechanics is at the moment of the impact... Is the leg formation of the roundhouse kick knee pointing to the side, while side kick is knee pointing downwards?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ5lzK6YAM

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is where I was told my leg formation is side kick (even though my foot is roundhouse).

Can someone explain how this leg formation sidekick?

https://postimg.cc/image/46tw2vbh9/a70cb4f4/

Last edited by Prototype on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is my leg formation for the latest clip.

Are they different, if so how?

https://postimg.cc/image/xlzkc2axp/

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to see the foot that's planted on the ground. Are your toes pointed 180 degrees (aka side kick) from the kicking leg? Or 90 degrees (aka round kick)?

In our style, we kick with the heel. Others use the knife-edge of the foot.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="singularity6"]I'd have to see the foot that's planted on the ground. Are your toes pointed 180 degrees (aka side kick) from the kicking leg? Or 90 degrees (aka round kick)?

In our style, we kick with the heel. Others use the knife-edge of the foot.[/quote

No not foot, the foot is fine, it's the kicking leg that was criticised for being in a side kick formation.

My question is how the kicking leg is different in a roundhouse kick at the moment of impact, compared to a side kick, at the moment of impact? [/u]

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, supporting feet pointing 180 degrees away from the target is not what separates a round kick from a side kick in TaeKwonDo

See here:

"Although the roundhouse kick were the same in TKD as in karate,
the differences began from late 60's when the dominant style
(Gen. Choi's military style taught to the draftees) began changing
the karate-origin kicks.

The theory behind it was that when doing the Japanese karate
roundhouse, the supporting foot is about 90 degrees to your target.
This means that the kicking foot travels in a quarter of a circle
(imagining your supporting foot to be center of the circle).

The research team of military instructors theorized that if you shifted
your body more by shifting the supporting foot to make 180 degrees

to your target, you would get more power out of it"
http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/ARTICLES_RoundhouseVturningkick.html

"

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Also, supporting feet pointing 180 degrees away from the target is not what separates a round kick from a side kick in TaeKwonDo

See here:

the karate-origin kicks.

"

Interesting find.

Years ago I trained in wado. I remember being frustrated that my round house kicks were not that powerful (not a fault of the style, because I know wado practitioners that generate awesome power), and even though I was quite flexible, I couldn't get a roundhouse kick much higher than about my own chest height.

It was years later having started tang soo do when I realised I was only turning my supporting foot 90 degrees while everyone else was closer to 180. I started to practice pivoting more. At first I stumbled across lot, and even fell over a few times. But I kept trying. Now, despite being nowhere near as flexible as I was all those years ago, I can get a roundhouse kick comfortably to about my jaw height or at a push, to the top of my head height. I've also found that rather being a 'distraction kick', I can now generate disturbing amounts of power in it too.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Prototype wrote:

See here:

the karate-origin kicks.

"

Interesting find.

Years ago I trained in wado. I remember being frustrated that my round house kicks were not that powerful (not a fault of the style, because I know wado practitioners that generate awesome power), and even though I was quite flexible, I couldn't get a roundhouse kick much higher than about my own chest height.

It was years later having started tang soo do when I realised I was only turning my supporting foot 90 degrees while everyone else was closer to 180. I started to practice pivoting more. At first I stumbled across lot, and even fell over a few times. But I kept trying. Now, despite being nowhere near as flexible as I was all those years ago, I can get a roundhouse kick comfortably to about my jaw height or at a push, to the top of my head height. I've also found that rather being a 'distraction kick', I can now generate disturbing amounts of power in it too.

I'm pretty sure I autonatically pivot 90 degrees. Anything else is overkill for me. What target level would you say my kick is in the clip?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Prototype"]
singularity6 wrote:
I'd have to see the foot that's planted on the ground. Are your toes pointed 180 degrees (aka side kick) from the kicking leg? Or 90 degrees (aka round kick)?

In our style, we kick with the heel. Others use the knife-edge of the foot.[/quote

No not foot, the foot is fine, it's the kicking leg that was criticised for being in a side kick formation.

My question is how the kicking leg is different in a roundhouse kick at the moment of impact, compared to a side kick, at the moment of impact? [/u]

As stated by others in your previous posts, you're leaving us with little information (short, poor quality videos, pictures with only one angle, etc.) If I'm getting feedback in the classroom, my instructor(s) make me kick multiple times, and they watch from multiple angles.

Also noted by others: Our styles are different. We do the best we can to give advice based on our experiences in our styles. Poking around online to refute what we're saying is rather offensive. You really should be asking and LISTENING to your instructors.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="singularity6"]
Prototype wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

As stated by others in your previous posts, you're leaving us with little information (short, poor quality videos, pictures with only one angle, etc.) If I'm getting feedback in the classroom, my instructor(s) make me kick multiple times, and they watch from multiple angles.

Also noted by others: Our styles are different. We do the best we can to give advice based on our experiences in our styles. Poking around online to refute what we're saying is rather offensive. You really should be asking and LISTENING to your instructors.

I was told this online based on the frame I provided
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: