Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Gaining Flexibility by using weights? Reply with quote

Flexibility by using weights, is it possible?

The question should be, how flexible do you want to be if using weights?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tPa0FUYpLNs[/u]

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The question should be, how flexible do you want to be if using weights?

Well, I'm one whose no desire to be as flexible as demonstrated in the OP's link. Flexible? Yes! Just not that much!!

Quote:
Flexibility by using weights, is it possible?

Yes!!

Weight training and flexibility training are compatible. That with correctly performed resistance exercise does not negatively affect flexibility. It's possible to shorten muscle length, and therefore decrease flexibility by performing many contractions within a decreased range of motion; however, I believe it is safe to say that most resistance exercises performed with good technique through a full range of motion will not reduce flexibility. As a matter of fact, certain types of resistance training can actually increase flexibility.

There has to be an understanding by the practitioner across the board as to the proper methods. Otherwise, injury will occur. Gradual...that's the name of the game. Nothing in training is automatic, nor is it guaranteed, and neither is it instantaneous; time must be respected.

Cardio...free weights...stretching, and in equal proportions; one done more than the other(s) goes against the grain of sensibility of training.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gradually equals time, slow but steady wins the flexibility race.

I like to think more to gain pliability than flexibility, as having a greater range of motion all day compared to only during working out sessions.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with doing Flexibility Training with weights.

Although you have to have the appropriate supervision for those who are not at the Elite Level of Sport. In the video I am assuming the person is a Gymnast. Why do i say that? because there is a risk of injury for us regular people if there is a lack of stability and control in our movements.

When you are doing strength training w/ free weights, you are often doing flexibility at the same time. Look at a Back Squat; you have to go as "deep" in the Squat and then power upwards.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, there are many contributing factors to being or gaining flexibility.

Stretching physically is only one factor there are others that are physiological.

I like and enjoy the health benefits from flexibility activities, most of all, the sense and feeling of wellbeing most of all.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread! I suffer from chronic instability (though it's more of a genetic thing.) It's not fun. It's mostly my shoulders that pop out, so I need to regularly do strength training for the rotator cuff muscles in order to participate in martial arts. I can tell that my hips can dislocate if I really want them to, but that joint is inherently more stable than the shoulder (and I have significantly more muscle in my legs/hip region than I do in my upper body, and always have.) While my hip joint is not stable, the tendons, ligaments and muscles surrounding the hip won't let me do the splits. In fact, I doubt I'll ever get to the point to where I can do the splits (and if I do manage to do them, I'd probably stay in that position...)

About the video: the gentleman's flexibility is very impressive. He's likely to have issues later in life, however. Most people do not train as hard as he must be training for too long. Once they're done competing, they lose the muscles that support the joints. Their tendons and ligaments lack the strength to support the joints, and they'll have chronic instability.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted or linked the video for the simple fact that it is possible (for some) to be extremely flexible.

Doing flexibility exercises with weights (for some) can bring about extraordinary results; doing just enough this way for martial art purposes, the video was intended, ideally for inspirational support.

We all have a different body makeup, due to genetics or ancestral differences and life style choices, we will all bend or contortion ourselves accordingly; that can change as things do with age.

What we can do however, is educate ourselves enough to maintain or improve what we like to do as safely and as sensibly as possible.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add, that while working out with weights, to gain flexibility, with up to 8 kilos strapped around my calves (only during workouts) for a few years now.

I've stepped up my stretching routine to be more demanding, with a considerable amount of more weights.

Due to my body has adjusted to 8 kilos per leg, I've included a 10 kilo rock to hold on to while stretching, combined with alot of leg muscle massage, on a regular metal handrail.

Was wondering if I could move normally the next day after all that and yes, I survived; with a little discomfort from some injuries, incurred many years ago in the mid 1970's motorcycle accidents and being crushed by a forklift truck.

I'm going to do this extreme stretching only twice a week with intermittent stretching and hip circling in between.

If anyone else is experimenting with their flexibility exercises, I would like to know what you are doing and how you are progressing with it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are strength training, if you are doing the big barbell exercises like squat, deadlift, power clean, snatch, bench press and press, you will get flexible through the whole range of motion so long as you are doing the exercises correctly.

However, if you want to get more flexible, for kicking high, then you will likely have to spend time stretching independent of lifting weights, and probably after your strength training session.

mkdaggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working hard over the last year to improve my flexibility, spending at least 20 minutes six days per week stretching on judo mats in my basement. My goal is to get my side kick higher for kata. While I am no where near doing a full split, I have improved greatly. I've pretty much been doing a general stretching routine and add three sets of side split holds for a minute or so.

In addition, I have continued to lift weights - something I started when I was about 13 years old. My main lifts are bench press, front squats, weighted pull ups, and standing military press. I usually weight train 3-4 days per week, stretch 6 days per week, and get to the dojo at least 3 days...plus 5 or 6 days of meditation for 20 minutes or so. Trying to keep things as holistic as possible.

I do not feel my weight training is hampering my flexibility at all. Also, I believe the stretching is having a positive impact on my strength training, so I'm going to stick to my current plan, although I will continue to tinker to keep the muscles guessing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: