• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Agility/balance excersises

Zaknafein

Hi, I was just wondering what are good excersises to help develop good balance and agility. I am lacking in both areas, hehehhe.

PS: dunna say stretching for improved agility, cuzz im already workin on that :grin:

Feel the 'Putt Jattan De' power!!

*Truth is highest, but Truthful living is higher still*

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i do, get a friend with a stick. have him try to hit you, slowly at first and then work up.

SHORTDOG

In the road of life there are many paths. If you don't know where you are going, any one will take you there.

join me in my quest to aquire knowledge of all martial arts of the world at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worldofmartialarts

or email

for balance ...sometime i use my belt to hook around my foot and then i hold on to it while balancing on one leg with the front and then side kick. or you can use a chair or wall to help with balance while doing kicks.

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

You can start by doing toe raises....lift up high on balls of feet, up on toes...hands on hips....pick spot on wall and focus and maintain this for as long as you can. Then feet flat and lift one leg up behind you with same side hand. (nice and slow still keeping focused on target) then switch to other leg.

Also tension kicks are great to work on balance. Remember to bring out same arm and hand fisted out in front of you to counteract your kick and it helps to maintain balance as you execute your kick. Remember to FOCUS...keeping eye on target in front of you gives you a base for good balance.

Deby :pony:

Yeah...also squat while raised onto your toes, at first it will be almost impossible unless you have some degree of balance.

Another good balance exercise is focus on a point on the wall or floor...take your right leg and wrap it around your left knee/thigh and place the foot (right) around the back of the left lower leg...doing the same with your arms.

just joking but sounds like a pretzel to me....(LOL)

i know what you mean it's a yoga stance, right BABY......( or sweetie)... :bigwink:

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

i like short dogs advice ..i developed agility by dodging both my mother (a master of escrima even though she doesnt know it and the deadly flying sandal) and my instructor whos long thin bamboo stick id swear was glued to his hand... :grin:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

heheheheh, thanks for your input guys, hehe. I havent had time to read the messageboards until now, so I havent had the chance to try any of these tips yet...but rest assured, I will! :grin:

just one question for you, Rushman, in your reply, you said something about using a belt to balance and do kicks? it would be great if you could clarify, thnx.. :up:

Feel the 'Putt Jattan De' power!!

*Truth is highest, but Truthful living is higher still*

sure i'll try.........

fold your belt in half then take the closed end and put your foot in the loop then you hold the open end with the same hand as the the foot in the loop......

using the other hand to stabalize your self with the wall or a chair...... when you have your balance let go of the wall or chair and try to maintain your balance....use your free hand to grab the wall/chair if you begin to lose your balance.

not your ankle but the arch of your foot. try to make perfect form.

hope you understand this....maybe someone else can explain this better in words than me but it is quite simple to do.

this is a static exercise not for active kicking. just for balance

rushman (taekwondo moderator)

3rd dan

wtf/kukkiwon

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-08-28 19:44 ]

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon