Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Can someone explain Qi Gong and Tai Chi? Reply with quote

I’m into yoga, and I always hear how great these Chinese martial/internal arts are. With a standard karate background, I’ve been trying to understand if these arts are similar - minus the belt ranks.

Are there set forms, or just individual techniques?

Is there a curriculum for these forms/techniques, depending on the style/lineage?

Have you noticed anything in particular that you’ve gained from practicing these arts, and can you share some of that experience?

What online schools do you trust to learn from and/or get certified from?

Thank you in advance!

Seamas
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I have trained Chinese martial arts with a highly graded Shifu here in Belfast, who’s main gig is Tai Chi. He was a judge at the Wushu World Championships where I competed in Sanda.

Tai Chi and Qi Gong are pretty different. Tai Chi is a martial art, where Qi Gong is kind of a meditative practice of trying to influence the ‘chi’ energy within the body. As a firm NON-believer in ‘chi’, I was more interested in Tai Chi, which turned out to be quite a difficult art form. It involves a lot of isometric strength which isn’t as practiced in Karate. So it can make you feel like a baby when you realise that these slow movements are a bloody challenge for a big strong karate enthusiast.

Some of the principles of Tai Chi overlapped quite nicely with the ideas of Wado Ryu karate when I was training, and the Tai Chi complimented my Karate with some conditioning and flexibility that wasn’t really developed in the Dojo.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response, Seamas! I’m glad that you included which one was a good addition to your karate. I recently read that Chojun Miyagi had some training in Baguazhang during his travels to China. I’m curious to know how that helped shape his Goju Ryu!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: