Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Boutique/small class schools/dojos Reply with quote

I am opening dojo in the lower level of my home, after a renovation.
Due to the size and layout, I don’t have a lot of working space so I am limiting to 5 students per class.

I have about 1200-1800sq ft, but really only about 600-800 of that is usable.

Anyone else have to start off like that?
What strategies did you find helpful?

How much did you charge? Did you charge per class, week, month, etc?

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off in the same sort of space, and I’m still in that sort of space! I prefer running my small classes, allows me to focus on individual needs.

I have managed to fit 6 in, obviously for things like kata, there’s only really enough space for 3 at a time (sometimes more if they are all doing the same kata and moving in the same directions). I tend to pair them up, they take turns doing a kata and offer each other pointers, and I just keep and eye throughout.

Price wise I charge £5 a class

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
I started off in the same sort of space, and I’m still in that sort of space! I prefer running my small classes, allows me to focus on individual needs.

I have managed to fit 6 in, obviously for things like kata, there’s only really enough space for 3 at a time (sometimes more if they are all doing the same kata and moving in the same directions). I tend to pair them up, they take turns doing a kata and offer each other pointers, and I just keep and eye throughout.

Price wise I charge £5 a class

I’m going to assume that teaching is not your primary source of income then?

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no not at all! Didn't want to put that kind of pressure on my karate and risk it tainting my passion.

What I do works for me. To be honest I would be tempted to teach for free if I could.

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
Oh no not at all! Didn't want to put that kind of pressure on my karate and risk it tainting my passion.

What I do works for me. To be honest I would be tempted to teach for free if I could.

I totally understand that, but I’m tired of doing jobs I hate.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that equils roughly a 25 x 30 foot area, you could double your class size fairly comfortably and still have room for a couple stand up bags, a couple speed bags, heavy bags and such. you could then set up "station" type drills to go along with the normal day to day teachings / instruction. space management is important, but quality instruction can be given even in small spaces if programs are designed properly.
monthly fees would be my first choice. as that would be easier to transfer to having a commercial space should you later choose to make that move. private lessons could be done on a class by class schedule if someone were to prefer that type setting/commitment.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash wrote:
that equils roughly a 25 x 30 foot area, you could double your class size fairly comfortably and still have room for a couple stand up bags, a couple speed bags, heavy bags and such. you could then set up "station" type drills to go along with the normal day to day teachings / instruction. space management is important, but quality instruction can be given even in small spaces if programs are designed properly.
monthly fees would be my first choice. as that would be easier to transfer to having a commercial space should you later choose to make that move. private lessons could be done on a class by class schedule if someone were to prefer that type setting/commitment.

Unfortunately the area is a very weirdly set up space that minimizes the space available for training

One area is like 17x13, and the other is about 8x6

And that 600-800 ft of space also includes the viewing area for parents

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsDen wrote:
crash wrote:

Unfortunately the area is a very weirdly set up space that minimizes the space available for training

ah, my bad, I was thinking you were teaching teens / adults. i wouldnt teach children myself out of a home dojo.... just way too much liability involved on so many levels. in that situation i would rather teach out of a community center / rec dept. or church or community college program.. continuing education programs at community colledges are sometimes a good venue to build up students or start from.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash wrote:
LionsDen wrote:
crash wrote:

ah, my bad, I was thinking you were teaching teens / adults. i wouldnt teach children myself out of a home dojo.... just way too much liability involved on so many levels. in that situation i would rather teach out of a community center / rec dept. or church or community college program.. continuing education programs at community colledges are sometimes a good venue to build up students or start from.

I’d prefer work with older teens and adults but when you’re literally across the street from an elementary school you do what you need to, to make a living out of it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you here. I think its unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be as much adult interest in this kind of training like there used to be, but being a parent myself, I know parents tend to stay busy and don't get a lot of free time, and the time they do get probably doesn't fall at the same time the class schedule does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: