Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Bo Nickal Vs Val Woodburn Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYDiFOFYQ4k

Here's a video so you can see what I mean more easily.

In this fight, Nickal violates some fundamental laws of the martial arts. In particular, they lead with a hook, break, lead with a rear hand, and that pattern of events repeats. This is because Woodburn was carrying his lead hand low, this prevented him from simply jabbing the shorter lead hook, or jamming it. People have said that he lowered his hand because of two faked single-leg shots, but you don't need the underhook to sprawl, you should use a more narrow stance so that you have a strong, lead thrusting knee to dissuade such attempts.

It is interesting to note the angles which occurred in the fight. Nickal wound up giving an outside angle to Woodburn when he threw a naked lead hook. He had time to break, then came back in, taking the inside angle. It was a shallow angle, but it helped the rear straight beat the overhand, a punch that typically counters it. Usually, if your counter isn't working, it is because the opponent has an angle.

Again, it was technical or kihon errors which prevented Woodburn from lasting long. He was not threatening with a long, thrusting knee, and he was not threatening with his jab. If your lead side doesn't have good strikes, you cannot mount an offence of any kind, whether it be striking, throwing, wrestling, chin na, or ne waza.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice any fake single leg shots...unless it was very subtle and I missed something (very possible).

Thank you for this evaluation. Very interesting. It's very hard for me to see the angles here. I'm guessing they are very subtle, and because I've never had any kind of experience with this kind of fighting.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: