Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep that positive mindset especially when the training task you across the board. Remember, learning the MA is NOT supposed to be easy, and what you're posting is solid. We got your back; train hard and train well.... always!!

How's your body holding up to the training and all??

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you’re still looking to grow as a martial artist. That’s just awesome. At my old dojo, we had a guy start up karate at 72. Last I checked, he’s 84 now and still shows up to class at least a few times a week. So especially as you’re approaching your 40’s - you’re still young, you can totally do this.

That being said, BJJ is a totally different ball game. It was actually the first MA I ever tried. I trained on and off for 4 years, from middle school into high school, and the on/off part is directly because of injuries. I tried getting back into it multiple times during the rest of my teenage years and even into my early 20’s but I just couldn’t prevent them from happening - even with tons of yoga, warming up, mobility, and doing the best I could to prevent it.

I competed in 2 tournaments. I never placed for my first, and I came in 2nd place (novice division, nothing special) for my second. My second tournament absolutely broke me, literally. I hurt my neck and could barely move for a month, and it took 2 months of physical therapy to get back to normal.

I wish I could say that was my only injury, but like I stated, it was my second to last of many lol. The following injuries occurred from my teens and into my early 20’s.
My injuries:
- multiple neck injuries that put me out of training entirely for a minimum of 2 weeks. Too many to count. The last injury, which is why I gave up BJJ for good, was another neck injury.
- a couple shoulder injuries. Nothing serious, but enough that I needed a few days of rest or at least minimal effort when I did go.
- THUMBS AND BIG TOES. I’m convinced that I broke both my thumbs and just never got them treated, because they still give me issues even now, over a decade later. The big toes probably got stubbed due to pure laziness on my part, but it happened a number of times.
- forearms. There’s lots of pulling and tons of grip involved. It’s only natural that your forearms, specifically close to your biceps, are going to get strained from time to time.

Often, I walked out of class just feeling like I got my butt kicked. Bruised, sore, exhausted. As fun as it was, I was only able to put up with that because of my youth.

On days that I walked out with an injury, particularly the neck injuries, I felt completely defeated and depressed - and it’s not like everyone I rolled with was brutal or anything like that, though some of course were. After so many, I found it ridiculously hard to find the motivation to keep showing up to class. Eventually, I had nothing left, and quit.

THAT BEING SAID…

I’m sharing only my own experience with BJJ. MOST of the guys that were at my gym were in their 30’s and 40’s. Some in their 50’s, and even a few in their 60’s! None of the guys that come to mind when I say this had a white belt, either. Some were even brown and black belts. Just beware of white belts and guys in their 20’s - they don’t seem to know how to hold back.

MY ADVICE…

Not that I’m really qualified to be giving it in this particular martial art, but still.
- get to class early and do your own warm up.
- START SLOW. Let your body adjust. I wouldn’t go more than 2-3 days a week, and that’s with a day or two between classes that you attend.
- stretch after class. Stretch a bit in the morning and at night, whether you’re going to class that day or not.
- let yourself be a white belt, but don’t be a dummy white belt. You don’t have to win, and it’s perfectly okay to lose count of how many times you have to tap out.
- if something feels off, like a potential injury, don’t risk it. Take the day off or just take it extra easy in class. It’s okay to give your training partners a heads up, like “hey, my shoulder feels weird today so take it easy on me if you go after it.”

I hope this helps. I LOVE BJJ. I’m going to encourage my kids to give it a try when they’re old enough. I wish I could do it, but my body just doesn’t like it. And given my passion for karate, I’m perfectly fine with that now.

Best of luck!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:

That being said, BJJ is a totally different ball game. It was actually the first MA I ever tried. I trained on and off for 4 years, from middle school into high school, and the on/off part is directly because of injuries. I tried getting back into it multiple times during the rest of my teenage years and even into my early 20’s but I just couldn’t prevent them from happening - even with tons of yoga, warming up, mobility, and doing the best I could to prevent it.

Just beware of white belts and guys in their 20’s - they don’t seem to know how to hold back.

Totally agree with the above. Myself i got an extremely bad arm injury that took 1.5yrs to get full motion back. what i would say is that all gyms are different - if you think you are getting hurt a lot then maybe a new academy would help

Myself, i just got back on the mats relatively recently and i decided to move academies. My old academy was an excellent school but too many 20year old killers for me now and was an injury waiting to happen. I found out a former training partner from years ago is a BB now with his own school. Much more chilled environment (though standard is still high) but feel less like someone will injure me!

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouraging responses

I am about 6 months in and have earned my 1st stripe since about a few months ago. I am absolutely in love with JJ. I have taken the advice from the previous responses on taking care of the body when training. I have become more relaxed in my drilling/rolling sessions. In fact, I actually look to training as a way to relax (if that makes any sense), I feel so euphoric after a hard rolling session. No major injuries so far thank goodness, just minor body aches ( especially my back) but stretching helps alleviate everything.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Months in...and still training!! That's how one does that...only in forward gear. Might scratch a gear or two from time to time, but all's good. Train hard and train well...keeping your health paramount.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to read this update! Thanks for sharing, GS718Trek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
Thank you for the encouraging responses

I am about 6 months in and have earned my 1st stripe since about a few months ago. I am absolutely in love with JJ. I have taken the advice from the previous responses on taking care of the body when training. I have become more relaxed in my drilling/rolling sessions. In fact, I actually look to training as a way to relax (if that makes any sense), I feel so euphoric after a hard rolling session. No major injuries so far thank goodness, just minor body aches ( especially my back) but stretching helps alleviate everything.

Awesome, glad to hear you are enjoying it. Just remember that bjj is very much an example of playing the long game, you get smashed for years but then gradually you get smashed less and suddenly realise you have become slightly competent (then some brown or black smashes you while having a conversation with someone and you realise how long the path is!)

Here's to an awesome next 6mths (and more) on the mats!

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shindo jinen Ryu, C.Gracie Lineage jiu jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just remember that bjj is very much an example of playing the long game, you get smashed for years but then gradually you get smashed less and suddenly realise you have become slightly competent (then some brown or black smashes you while having a conversation with someone and you realise how long the path is!)

what a very appropriate response, cant get any more true than that.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuraix1 wrote:
Quote:
Just remember that bjj is very much an example of playing the long game, you get smashed for years but then gradually you get smashed less and suddenly realise you have become slightly competent (then some brown or black smashes you while having a conversation with someone and you realise how long the path is!)

what a very appropriate response, cant get any more true than that.

Haha thanks!

smuraix1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shindo jinen Ryu, C.Gracie Lineage jiu jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in my 30s, but after having started BJJ, my body feels like I'm in my 50's lol

You will be amazed at your progress if you keep putting time on the mat.. So don't give up!!

The saying goes "if your planning to train Jiu jitsu forever, then whats the rush?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: