Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

username19853
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Bujin tv Reply with quote

Has anyone tried it out?

I met James during my trip to Okinawa and loved talking with him. He’s a very passionate person and VERY well connected across Okinawa. I think his platform for bujin tv is genius, but I don’t really hear anyone talking about it.

There’s TONS of bunkai, straight from high ranking Okinawans who, literally, are from Okinawa. With bunkai being such a hot topic, I figured people would be nearly obsessed with this.

So I’m curious why this isn’t being talked about more. Has anyone tried it out? Was anyone disappointed or impressed? How so?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attended a couple of the openly-available webinars, but I haven't subscribed. There have been a couple people he has brought onto the platform who give me pause, but there are definitely some great ones on there, too. I suspect the lack of buzz about it is probably because of the target audience--people interested in classical and traditional Okinawan karate. It wasn't built for sport karate people, and although there have definitely been some solid bunkai sessions, it wasn't really built for practical karate people, either.

The people that generally leaves are, in my experience, the quietest about their training. They don't share much on social media, especially. I have thousands of martial arts friends on Facebook, for example, and while I know for certain that at least two dozen of them subscribe to BujinTV, I have MAYBE seen 2 of them post about it, before.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of it before. My guess is that it has to do with the fact that Bujin TV has a price tag, and YouTube does not. Martial Artists are generally untrusting of any information that one can get online through video. We tend to believe that the only quality training is done in person. While this is not entirely true, it does carry with it a lot of wisdom. It is helpful for new students to have someone there to train out bad habits. Experienced students have an easier time with online learning because they've already had that instructor relationship and have developed good habits. I am an example of this. I no longer have an instructor to teach me new things. I learn new kata and techniques from videos and apply them to my training as I see fit. I just learned Hamahiga no Tonfa in this way. The thing about that is that I learned it for free via YouTube. Would Bujin TV have been a better place to learn that? Maybe. Am I comfortable paying $12.99 to find out? Not really.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that $12.99 per month?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just subscribed, so I will let you know what I think. Give me a few weeks.

Karate no michi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: