• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone can teach martial arts IF

they act like a drill sargent.

I'm serious. I've trained at various schools and I've seen quite a few instructors teach this way. All they do is shout orders to do that kick and that kick. :roll: Basically everyone is getting a Tae-bo workout. Sure this type of instructor gives basic feedback. He or she yells "good job!, More power!, more speed!, yell louder!, keep your hands up!, don't drop your head! Don't lose your balance!" Anyone can act like a drill sargent to teach martial arts. It would be so easy! They would only have to know how to warm up and stretch, and the names of kicks and techniques.

Oh. If a student asks for a demonstration of a kick, you can just ask your senior student to demonstrate for the class.

I just have a huge pet-peeve with instructors who only shout orders, without giving feedback and attention to their students. It just shows that just 'cause you have a black-belt, it doesn't mean that you can teach....

A good instructor will know the technical aspects and practical applications of each technique so that they can give effective feedback to perfecting a student's technique.. How does chambering your leg this way affect your power and speed? Why do a kick this way? A good instructor won't say, "that's how i was taught. That's just how you do it." Sadly, I've seen instructors actually respond like that! :roll:

The problem is, the law can't stop these unqualified instructors from teaching. Anyone can open up their own school at least in Canada, if they have a black-belt.(depends on style of martial arts)

It's just tooo easy to scam and open up mcdojos with unqualified instructors, as a result degrading the integrity of quality martial arts instruction.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
anyone can teach if someone is willing to pay don't matter how they do it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You are completely right and thats why most of these type instructors only have a hand full of students. Because they are the ones who can tolerate the person. When anybody asks me what the best style of MA to learn I just say to find the best instructor you can.

Everyone can drive a car, but not everyone can keep it on the road...

I hate "drill instructor" type senseis. Half the time, they end up traumatizing their students. :(

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've trained under those iron fist, drill sergeant types. While they do attract a small listing of students, they don't and won't stay in business.

Today, teaching skills as well as good business and interpersonal skills mean the difference between a closed school and a performing one.

So Many Masters; So Few Students

• 1 month later...

but telling you 'more power' without telling you how, is a bit useless.

explaining and telling are two very different things.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 1 month later...

There are some examples in Romania too. They think they are the centre of the world and forget they are teachers and must posses skills in this area too. Barking orders is not the whole thing. They forget the tecnique must be explained, shown and so on.

The solution for students is to search the good instructors. The problem is a beginner has no clue about this and the decission can be flawed because of lack of knowledge.

Agreed. Doing and teaching are two entirely different things. You must, of course, be able to do... but teaching requires skills above and beyond, in that you must have an understanding as to 'why' you do what you do, and then be able to 'communicate' such. In this day and age, there are still many people who are willing to take things at face value, without receiving insight into just what the hell is going on, but... the thinking minds are the ones who will obtain the most 'universally applicable' growth from a study. It is these people who need a 'how, what, when, where, why' instructor, as opposed to a 'do' instructor.

The thing is, we all strive for the 'do,' but most of us do not learn the 'do' without first understanding what the hell 'do' is. Therefore, without a qualified instructor, what we do won't be the do that we all must strive to do.

That was fun, now what do i do? :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro