how long is your class?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are 1.25 hours long most days. 3/4 of an hour on weekends.

I can go to class pretty much every day if I wanted to but only have time to go 3 times a week.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I'm trying to think what you can accomplish in 45-60 minutes in class. It just doesn't seem enough to me to get a whole lot done.

This is how I break down my class--all times are approximate and length of each segment isn't written in stone.

7:00 - 7:20: Bow in, announcements, warmup exercises and basics practice(blocks/kicks/etc).

7:20 - 8:15: Self-defense techniques.

8:15 - 8:20: Short break to grab a drink of water or bathroom if they need to.

8:20 - 8:45: Light (no gear)/medium(hand pads)/full contact sparring (Okinawan bogo full contact gear)

8:45 - 9:00 (often go over): Kata practice.

9:00 -- Bow out.

When I first started classes with my sensei, we had 3 hours of training, 3 days/week (Mon-Tue-Thur), and an occasional Saturday practice for 3-4 hours. They were very intense and students either got it, or dropped out. He was a great and patient sensei and expected people to motivate themselves (as I do) and to work hard. Slackers were asked to leave after having plenty of time (usually at least 2 months) to prove themselves that they were there to work and learn. I would love to do 3 hour classes myself, but most of my students prefer a 2 hour because of the time factor. 10:00 is to late for most of them, and I can't start the class any earlier than 7:00 because of their schedules. *sigh*

My sensei didn';t care about losing the money from these students, buyt rather wanted people that were there to learn. I'm basically the same way, but the money does come in handy! lol

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

ShorinRyu sensei --- that's some old school teaching! You dont see too much of that anymore.

Our classes run 1:15 - 1:30. Then the dojo rats are usually haning around for another hour or two after that. I've actually learned more once the class is dismissed. That is when the people that WANT to be there are left to train --- usually there is only about 5 of us....and we'll work our different weapons and katas, and sometimes spar.

There are a lot of highschoolers in the class and I'm sure a lot of them want to be there but they either rely on parents for rides or is too busy with school and homework to stick around --- usually interest peaks in the summer time.

Kita

KarateForums.com Sempai

ShorinRyu sensei --- that's some old school teaching! You dont see too much of that anymore.

Kita

You say that like it's a bad thing? :D

On Okinawa, at least in the dojo's under the system that I do, the sensei will try very hard to teach you karate. If they correct your mistakes, they expect you to make that correction, and from that point on, do it correctly. Sounds reasonable to me.

If, however, sensei makes corrections in their technique, and the student still continues to make the same mistakes, eventually, they will start to ignor you. Yes, you can still come to class, but forget learning anything really "good", and forget about promotions.

In my class, as in my sensei's..I will work hard to get each and every student of mine to improve themselves at every class. But if it becomes obvious that they think they know how to do things (such as constant incorrect application of technique in kata) class after class, I will eventually lay down "the law" to them, explain what I am seeing, and suggest they either correct the flaws I am seeing, or leave.

Some leave, some make the corrections and work out fine. I feel I have something to pass on to others. If they want it..here it is. If not, go away and join the masses and do what everybody else is doing, and quit wasting my time.

There is a TKD classes locally with over 100 students I guess, and a whole bunch of others that actively seek students on a commercial basis. I teach a small class in my converted single car garage, never advertise, seldom do demonstrations unless approached, and have no trouble filling vacancies.

Yes, I'm a little conceited about what I do, but having spent quite a bit of time visiting other dojo's teaching other systems over the years, looking at the quality of student they are producing..I ALWAYS go back to my dojo and look at my students and smile with satisfaction that I must be doing something right, because they look GREAT to me...and I let them know it.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

At a full time school, classes are usually between 1 and 1 1/2 hours.

However, with my circumstances, I usually train for about 3 hrs when I'm there.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.