• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how long is your class?

How do you guys/gals last 2 hours. I know after 1 hour of TKD I'm usually exhausted, sometimes to the point of having to sit down for awhile. On the rare occasion that I have a HKD class following my TKD I have to make a special effort to "take it easy" or I won't make it through HKD. I'm in pretty good shape and I'm not the only one in class that is exhausted following class.

So what are your secrets.

Ron

World Musado Federation

Bong Soo Han IHF

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do we make it through a 2 hour class? Well, if I ytold you, then I'd have to kill you! :lol:

It's in the differance in the different systems I'd suppose. I'm not teaching aerobics and building better bodies, nor are we teaching kicks higher than the lower abdomen, and there are few spinning or jumping kicks...which take more energy.

Shorinryu has all low line kicks (old style Orthodox system anyway) and movements that are slight and small, as compared to larger movements of the body. Thus, we use less energy, and don't get worn out as easily.

I've sparred every student in my class, one right after the other (anywhere from 10-15 students) and yes, I was sweating and tired at the end, but we can do that because we don't waste movement and energy if we don't have to. It's easier to demonstrate than explain..but it's the way that we do things.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I work then train (with class sometimes going in overtime) at my dojang. Working means teaching and/or helping out in our after school TKD program (with 30 kids a day). And, at times, helping out in the beginners classes (regular kids classes).

Eating power bars and drinking water (or Code Red hehehehe) keeps me going.

Laurie F

Our classes are an hour long. But due to it being 1-1 tution I think I learn a lot more in that hour than I would if my Sensei's attention was on 20 other students.

Purple Belt

around one hour but I show up for a work out before, with other people for about 1/2 hr before class.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Hmm. I usually think that 2 hours is more or less a perfect length for a class. For beginner's class, 1.5 hours is maybe enough.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland