• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what's up...

CsrCrz88

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey, nice to meet you.

Mind telling me a little bit about Shaolin Kenpo Karate? I've heard of it, don't know much about it though.

Well, enjoy your stay. :karate:

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

what would you like to know?

History of the art, what training consists of, maybe links to websites with more info, etc. Just general information. Nothing too long, a brief description is fine.

Thanks.

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba

Kenpo is considered by many to be the first eclectic martial art. Its origin evolved from Karate which; according to legend, began over a thousand years ago in China.

At the beginning of the seventeenth century two families, Kumamoto and Nagasaki brought knowledge of Kenpo from China to Kyushu in Japan. Modified throughout many years into its current form, it is referred to as Kosho-Ryu Kenpo, or Old Pine Tree school. It is from here that most modern forms of Kenpo are derived.

According to modern legend, in 1916 at the age of five, James Mitose was sent from his homeland in Hawaii to Kyushu for schooling in his ancestors' art of self-defense called Kosho-Ryu Kenpo. After completing his training in Japan, Mitose returned to Hawaii. Near the beginning of World War II in 1936, Mitose opened the "Official Self-Defense" club in Honolulu. It was from here that the five major Kenpo influences; Thomas Young, William K. S. Chow, Edmund Howe, Arthur Keawe and Paul Yamaguchi would study and bring Kenpo to the rest of the world.

William K.S. Chow adapted Mitose's approach and "Americanized" the art. He is perhaps responsible for the largest leap of Kenpo to the general public. In 1949, Chow opened a school of his own at a local YMCA and referred to his art as Kenpo Karate.

i would like to ask you a question that would probaly be a stupid to you. isn't the art of Jeet Kwon Do unfinished?

i would like to ask you a question that would probaly be a stupid to you. isn't the art of Jeet Kwon Do unfinished?

Thanks for the info.

Yes and no. It depends on the martial artist. "Jeet Kune Do possesses everything, but is in itself possessed by

nothing." -Bruce Lee

JKD is expression of oneself through martial technique. If you mean Bruce Lee's JKD, I can't really comment. [True] Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy, not a set of techniques or anything. So it's open to interpretation. My Jeet Kune Do has just begun... so it is, in a way, "unfinished."

Hope this helps.

:wink: