• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first tournament!!

superleeds

I have not had to go against a 1st dan, but pretty much everything up to it. Unfortunately I am in the over 35 group, so there is often no novice catagory for us.

They say they take into account your belt rank when scoring in kata, but I feel it is pretty hard to impress them when you are going against someone that has been doing it for 6 years (vs my 1 year).

None the less, I find competitions fun and give me focus.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So as an orange belt you were going against a 1st dan?!?!

yup. My mates (also orange belts) went up against 3rd and 4th dans. scary scary scary....

Were all happy we didnt go up against them in the kumite part of the competition :D

Read a book!

Interesting....all the tournaments I've been to the divisions are broken up by skill level

beginner - white, yellow, orange

intermediate - green, blue, purple

advanced - brown, red, rank immediately before blk

and black belt divisions

Then amoung the skill it is divided further by age:

18-29, 35+ etc

Sometimes even further by gender --- esp with the adults.

KarateForums.com Sempai

That is strange that it was broken up, just look at it this way, Learn from the past, to prepare for the future. Good luck in your training for the next one :).

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

Get this! 3 days ago i agreed to enter another tournament. What they didnt tell me, is that there are no skill level categories at all :o :o . Best man/woman wins....I'am so gonna get my * whopped! Even the national team is entering this one!!! After all it is the national championships. But I feel that they should have warned me.. :dodgy:

Read a book!

That's cool, A higher level of competion is always good (if you don't get hurt). It'll make you a better fighter too. As for the National team.....who cares about that, if you beat em hard and clean- you kicked someones * from the national team. National Championships are an excellent way to learn new lessons. Even if you lose..... Good luck.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder