• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first tournament!!

superleeds

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cool I want to hear all about it when you get back! I'm also attending a tournament tomorrow.

Here some Kita's tips for sucess:

-Be friendly ---- try to meet and greet as many people as you can, judges, promoters, other students....shake their hands and wish them luck.

-Warm-up, but don't overexert yourself! Get a GOOD stretch and do your kata 1 or 2 times --- thats it!! Some people don't do their katas at all at tournys --- what NOT to do, is do your kata a million times before you have to perform.

- When you introduce yourself to the judges be loud and confident. You don't have to scream, but they should be able to hear you. This is your first impression, and trust me, sometimes judges need that jolt of a wake-up call. There should be enough boom in your voice to demand their full attention.

- Rather you win or lose, always shake the hands of your competitors and judges.

- In kumite, make sure you know and understand the rules. Is there face or groin contact? 2 Min max points or first to 5?

I'm sure I can think of more for you if you'd like...most important ---- HAVE FUN!!!

KarateForums.com Sempai

Well my first tournament sure was a humbling experience!

The kata competition was arranged as a cup, where I was "lucky" enough to compete against a 1st dan from Norways best karate dojo when it comes to kata. Needless to say I didnt go on to the next round. The kumite part of the competition was arranged as a series. In my first match I got my butt handed to me (and then some) My opponent has been doing karate for 2 years, which actually is twice as long as I have done...He told me after the match that if I hadnt been so defensive I would have won the match. Wich was a very nice gesture. The other 2 matches was a much better afair as far as I'm concerned. I have a new competition coming up in 14 days time. I can hardly wait. (My injured hands can though ;) )

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement!

Read a book!

Cool deal! What rank are you?

Blue belt... don't you see? Just kidding. :lol:

Good luck. :up:

“Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion.” ~Morihei Ueshiba