• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another physics discussion

Warp Spider

Yes. Light takes time to travel and so high speeds can cause it to become out of sync with reality, thus making something appear to have suffered some sort of time warping, when it really did not.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elaborate on "high speeds can cause it to become out of sync with reality" please?

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

but cesium clocks have not a lot to do with light do they?

you gave an example of how something may appear to be/show something that it isn't.

however, i can't see how it applies the case of the cesium clocks.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Well, the clocks travelled at a relatively high speed, which allegedly caused them to experience time dilation. In reality, that experiment and the similar ones performed elsewhere did not cause time dilation in the clock, they only caused the clock to become inaccurate. I can smash a clock so it stops completely, does that mean I've stopped time? Of course it doesn't, it only means that the clock is inaccurate.

The speed of light only comes into play in that those experiments in no way indicate that time is somehow related to the speed of light, gravity, or space in any way.

i was asking in relation to how the clocks work...

i always thought they measured the frequency of the atoms (cesium in this case due to it's natural resonance frequency beaing the same as that used to define the second).

i can't see how the travelling at speed affects how the clock reads/measures this frequency.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Holy smokes. I never said there was a doppler effect between the two. That was just an example of how something can appear in all ways to have changed when it actually has not.

i was asking in relation to how the clocks work...

i always thought they measured the frequency of the atoms (cesium in this case due to it's natural resonance frequency beaing the same as that used to define the second).

i can't see how the travelling at speed affects how the clock reads/measures this frequency.

Well, it's not the clock that's failing to read the frequency, it's the experimenters who are failing to percieve the information from the clock correctly.

Warp,

That may be a factor in the experiments where the clocks were travelling , but what about the ones where they were still (the skyscraper and underground)?

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

Holy smokes. I never said there was a doppler effect between the two. That was just an example of how something can appear in all ways to have changed when it actually has not.

Well, it's a poor example. The frequency of the wave changes from doppler shift; the object does not appear functionally "different".

Well, it's not the clock that's failing to read the frequency, it's the experimenters who are failing to percieve the information from the clock correctly.

Please be more specific... what error has occurred in reading the output from a clock?

Warp,

That may be a factor in the experiments where the clocks were travelling , but what about the ones where they were still (the skyscraper and underground)?

Well, they're not still either, they're at different points on the Earth which is rotating.

Well, it's a poor example. The frequency of the wave changes from doppler shift; the object does not appear functionally "different".

The sound is percieved as being different, and since the sound produced by a resonating object is a fair measure of it's oscillation frequency, it's oscillation frequency can appear to be different than it actually is.

Please be more specific... what error has occurred in reading the output from a clock?

Well, an inaccurate reading of the elapsed time was taken from the clock. This caused it to appear to have suffered some sort of "time dilation" when in reality it had not.