• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So many grades...so little time

Just the other day I was browsing through various martial arts sites and as usually I saw many names of martial artists with dan grades in 2 or 3 different arts. Ok so whats my point right??? Well then I came across the DSI (dragon society international) homepage. Looked very interesting then I looked at the credentials for two of their masters Rick Moneymaker and Tom Muncy.............

Rick Money Maker (25 years martial arts experience)

Kudan (9th degree black belt), Torite-jutsu (Recognized by A.K.B.B.A.

Kudan (9th degree black belt), Okinawan Kempo Karate-do

Hachidan (8th degree black belt), World and British Jenpo Arts Federation

Rokudan (6th degree black belt), Tae Kwon Do by American Black Belt Assocation

Godan (5th degree black belt), Isshinryu Karate-do

Yondan (4th degree black belt), Aikibudo

Nidan (2nd degree black belt), Japanese Goju-ryu Karate-do

I'm just curious to know how in 25 years one person would be able to attain grades from 2nd dan to 9th dan in 7 different styles??? Could someone help me understand this amazing track record?

The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle......

You might as well stand and fight beacause if you run you will only die tired!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My guess would be honorary degrees. I'd say it's impossible to get a 10th dan in 25 years..period! Let alone several of them, plus others. BAH!

One of the first clues is to look at the guys nationality. Americans tend to overinflate themselves, particularily in the martial arts. And yes, I'm also an American..so let's not go there! :P

I personally used to know a TKD guy that was a tested 4th Dan in TKD. He decided to start his own organization (American Korean Karate Assc.) and declared himself a 9th Dan. He then went out and contact numerous other heads of systems and exchanged rank in his association, for rank in theirs. In other words.."You give me a 5th Dan in your system certificate, and I'll give you one in mine." sort of deal.

The last time I was in this guys dojang (he's since deceased) he had about 7 high rank certificates in as many systems. None of which he had ever taken so much as one class in.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

And then there are people like Sensei Gideon from an interview in the Articles section of this site who emphasize knowledge over belt color. If only more people would accept that philosophy....

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Very true ZR440! Our Hanshi tells us not to worry about belt color but the knowledge one has about the art. He says he can get us all black belts in three business days and five bucks but it doesn't make us black belts, only knowledge and perfection of the art will accomplish that and that takes time and dedication. :karate:

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I am a DSI member and know Rick Moneymaker. He founded TORITE JUTSU on the site https://www.dragonsociety.com is a list of the groups who he recieved the founder acknowledgment from. I can tell you he has been training for over 25 years, does it full time. He has amazing knowledge of KYUSHO ( vital point striking) and TUITE ( joint maniplulation ). Since many arts use the same KATAS , Kicks , strikes. A person can be ready to test for rank much faster when training as a new off the street person. I can tell you that he is not a " BELT FACTORY " type of instructor, one better know whats what come test time.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

My guess is *

Hate to step on toes but it can't be done. I understand respect honorary degrees but if you claim to know that style its *.

Gives MA a bad name and rep.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I agree G95champ.

I've also forwarded the "Soken Secret pressure Point Notes" url to my sensei, who has traiend extensively on Okinawa under one of Soken's senior students for verification.

Obviously, those are not copies on that website of the actual notes though. They could have been written by anybody. In Soken's own hand would have been a much better chance at "proof" I'd say.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I can tell you one way it happens. When you get a black belt in a particular style and want to open a school, you can frequently get "belt recognition" from another school. Meaning, they want you to teach their style or pay dues to their organization or whatever. So, if you spend 4 or 5 years to get a black belt, you can then apply to another (not all, but some) organizations and be recognized as a blackbelt in their group and start working on your various dan in their organization.

In this way, you can actually be simultaneously achieving dan rank in multiple associations. Again, most require you to hold a black belt in some other organization first. Of course, each organization has different time and testing requirements to achieve additional dan rank.

Looked very interesting then I looked at the credentials for two of their masters Rick Moneymaker

The surname worries me for a start...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.